Windows Vista Explorer: images skipped when using preview. RRS feed

• Question

• The problem relates to previewing images shown as thumbnails in Windows Explorer. I like to select pictures to keep by looking at them using the "Preview" in Windows explorer. However, I notice when you have a preview, clicking the next button frequently skips several images in moving on. The number of images skipped is related to the number of thumbnails displayed across the page in Explorer. The wider the apge displayed the more that are skipped.

You can ensure that each image is viewed if you change the Explorer view to a list say, but then you cannot see the thumbnails. I have also found that the effect is intermittent -you can sometimes preview every image when the thumbnails are on view, but this is not much help when it changes back! I cannot find anything that deals with this in either the settings or the help.

Is there any way round this please - i.e. a way to view every image on a thumbnail page with preview?

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Monday, August 18, 2008 4:07 PM

Answers

• user="Singletsigma"]

Dear Ronnie,

Many thanks for the reply; I am sorry that I was not explicit enough.

"next button" - if you view a thumbnail image in Explorer, you can right click and preview it, which brings up the full image in the Windows Photo Gallery. Below the picture is a clickable right arrow which I referred to as the "next button". When you click this, you move to the next image. The problem is that sometimes the arrow skips three images, and then again, and again, basically going down a column of thumbnails in explorer and not going through the expected sequence.

OK, now I understand what you are seeing. 

At first I thought that this might have something to do with the file format of the images. Photo Gallery doesn't natively support all file types, such as .GIF and others. If you open the full Photo Gallery program (Not the Preview mode that you are describing) you will see that it only displays the supported file types. This is just because it is not able to Edit certain file types such as .GIF.

However, in the Preview mode that you describe, it does display all file types. If you do display a .GIF file in this preview mode and click on the 'Fix' item in the top toolbar, you will see a message that states it is not a supported file type.

However I have to say that the effect is intermittent - in the sense that when we reviewed a set of images yesterday, it worked normally,moving from image to image without skipping. It's also alright today since I am checking it as I write in order to get an accurate description. But it is irritating when it happens, which is pretty frequent!

I tried, but was not able to recreate the behavior you are seeing. The fact that it is 'intermittent' does mean that it will be difficult to troubleshoot.

PC - I use a 17" Dell laptop which has both an numeric keyboard on the right hand side, and a special directional arrow cluster. However I mostly use the mouse for navigating.

I do realise that it must be nearly impossible to diagnose such an effect, but I am encouraged by your interest.

My best 'guess' of what might 'possibly' be happening is that if you are doing any editing with these files, such as deleting, renaming, or copying, these files from within that photo gallery preview mode, this 'might' be the problem. If you do perform one of these procedures, the effect in Windows Explorer would be immediate, which would cause the files to be re-orderd in that folder and this 'might' cause that preview mode to lose track of where it is at?

You might want to do some testing with this.

I'm putting this thread in my watched list, if I find any more information, I will post it here.

Also, if you find any more information, please post it back here so we can document it for others that may run into this problem.

Thanks.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hi

I'm not real sure what you are describing?

What do you mean by "the next button" ?

Is this a laptop or a custom keyboard that has special multimedia buttons?

If you mean the Arrow keys on the keyboard, moving left or right will always stop at the end of each line of files.

Let me know.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Dear Ronnie,

"next button" - if you view a thumbnail image in Explorer, you can right click and preview it, which brings up the full image in the Windows Photo Gallery. Below the picture is a clickable right arrow which I referred to as the "next button". When you click this, you move to the next image. The problem is that sometimes the arrow skips three images, and then again, and again, basically going down a column of thumbnails in explorer and not going through the expected sequence.

However I have to say that the effect is intermittent - in the sense that when we reviewed a set of images yesterday, it worked normally,moving from image to image without skipping. It's also alright today since I am checking it as I write in order to get an accurate description. But it is irritating when it happens, which is pretty frequent!

PC - I use a 17" Dell laptop which has both an numeric keyboard on the right hand side, and a special directional arrow cluster. However I mostly use the mouse for navigating.

I do realise that it must be nearly impossible to diagnose such an effect, but I am encouraged by your interest.

Best wishes

Peter 

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:40 AM
  • user="Singletsigma"]

Dear Ronnie,

OK, now I understand what you are seeing. 

At first I thought that this might have something to do with the file format of the images. Photo Gallery doesn't natively support all file types, such as .GIF and others. If you open the full Photo Gallery program (Not the Preview mode that you are describing) you will see that it only displays the supported file types. This is just because it is not able to Edit certain file types such as .GIF.

However, in the Preview mode that you describe, it does display all file types. If you do display a .GIF file in this preview mode and click on the 'Fix' item in the top toolbar, you will see a message that states it is not a supported file type.

I tried, but was not able to recreate the behavior you are seeing. The fact that it is 'intermittent' does mean that it will be difficult to troubleshoot.

My best 'guess' of what might 'possibly' be happening is that if you are doing any editing with these files, such as deleting, renaming, or copying, these files from within that photo gallery preview mode, this 'might' be the problem. If you do perform one of these procedures, the effect in Windows Explorer would be immediate, which would cause the files to be re-orderd in that folder and this 'might' cause that preview mode to lose track of where it is at?

You might want to do some testing with this.

I'm putting this thread in my watched list, if I find any more information, I will post it here.

Also, if you find any more information, please post it back here so we can document it for others that may run into this problem.

Thanks.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Dear Ronnie,

Many thanks for thinking about the problem - it seemed to me that there is a glitch somewhere. I'll bear in mind what you said and see if I can see anything systematic - I certainly do mess about with the ordering of the pictures and remove unfit ones etc.

One separate thing - the alert emails that I get from you and your colleagues have stopped giving a link directly to the site and page. The first couple I had this week were OK but the two I have had today (I have had another query out, now happily resolved) have not. So one has to track it down from scratch. It was nice to get a live link.

Best wishes

Peter

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Peter

Your very welcome, I'm glad this helped.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:30 PM
  • I'm having this problem also when viewing images in Windows Photo Gallery.  I just uploaded some pictures from my camera today, they are obviously all the exact same format and I haven't edited or renamed a single one.  However, photo gallery skips pictures when I'm trying to preview them using the next key!

I've figured out (at least in my case) that clicking the next key brings me to the next photo VERTICALLY down in the sequence, rather than the next actual photo....totally weird, I would love if I could fix this because I use this feature all the time...or used to Sad
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:27 AM
  • Thank you for the extra information - this my experience too - and it is indeed a pity since a useful feature has been corrupted.

You can guarantee going through the complete set by changing to a "list" or "detailed" view but this defeats the object of the thumbnails, which is to see the pictures that you are dealing with.

I imagine that we shall just have to live with it!

Best wishes

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:56 AM
  • I just got exactly the same problem as described here - I copied some photos directly from my camera's memory card to a folder in "Pictures" and (for the first time) it skipped a number of pictures within windows photo gallery when I clicked "Next".

I was able to solve this problem by going back to the folder and sorting by name (right click and select "sort by > name", or just click on "Name" towards the top of the window). Do this even if you are already sorting by name. Do it twice if it reverses the order and you want it forwards.

I hope this is helpful.

• Proposed as answer by jumm Monday, August 24, 2009 8:48 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:47 AM
  • May be the people who have written here have already solved the issue with Windows Photo Gallery erractically skipping image files when previewing. But this may come in useful for someone in the future with the same problem.

I experienced the problem for the first time only when I had been editing and renaming a lot of my image files.  (Thanks to Mr.Vernon for pointing out that this may be the cause.)

All I had to do was Refresh the Explorer Window and it started behaving perfectly okay.

I know this sounds too easy a solution to believe, but sometimes that is all it takes.:)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Thanks Reva12, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, it was very helpful.

I've had this problem intermittently since I purchased my HP Laptop 6 months ago (Vista).
    Although I've mostly ignored the problem until now, it's nice to know where the problem stems from and how the application is behaving.
    Refreshing Windows Explorer worked perfectly.

One additional thing I noticed is when I did refresh the page, the 'thinking' mouse pointer took a few seconds to complete the process.
    Much longer than usual. As I expected it to.

It will be interesting to see if MS corrects this issue, I'm sure a lot of people are experiencing the same problem.

This type of issue & the fact that MS has not corrected it, really makes me wonder what problems Win7 will bring.... Cause we all know Vista was perfect!

Thanks again!
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Ditto to this post...and to what was said elsewhere about windows-7 Think I'll wait til 8 is ready to install7 and and not use any of the patches that come after it is released.  After sp-2 xp pro was great.  when vista came out xp's new patches brought it's dependability way down.

I found the sort thing worked, but why does vista not recognize the order of the folder without a refresh, which is part of what sort does.  Could the pictures be downloaded from the camera in an order other than numeric as they sort?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Hi

I have the SAME sort of problem but instead of it being in Windows explorer its in "Windows Photo Gallery"

If i am looking at a picture from a folder full of pictures (all same format/not edited but maybe rotated) when i click Next picture button OR i press the left/Right arrows keys it skips like 3-5 pictures......

Example
    So if i have 3 pictures of a field and then 10 of a party, in the same folder.......
    If i then open the 1st Field picture, it will show me that picture fine
    BUT then when i click next it skips to the party picture and if i click NEXT again it will show me 1 more Party picture then the next with be of a DIFFERENT field picture (different from the 1st viewed), then different Party pictures etc........

So it shows all the pictures just not in order its supposed to be and REALLY annoying....

This used to do this for last 2-3years and i just reloaded Fresh install and still same problem......

P.S im using Vista Home
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:44 PM
  • There is a post above that describes the work-around or "fix" for this problem:

If you simply press F5 to refresh the folder contents the Windows Photo Gallery "preview" works correctly when trying to view the next image.  This issue has been bothering me for some time, across HW platforms, software patch levels, etc.  Refreshing works.

MJ
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:52 AM
  • I get that same problem, and your method really worked. I usually view all my photos in Large Thumbnail, and when I did the Preview it would skip every 10 images, so I did the sort by name and it now Previews each picture 1, 2, 3 etc, instand of 1, 10, 20 etc. Thanks for the info jumm! Your answer really helped
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Just had a little look at this problem because it was happening on my girlfriends computer and all i did was
    open the folder,
    Right click it and goto sort by,
    and click name
    then try to view the files in photo gallery.
     and that seemed to work. Hope that helps!
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:03 AM
  • I'm having this problem too.  I tried refresh.  It does not help.  The photo gallery previewer still skips photos.  It does not seem to skip lines or anything like that.  Sometimes it skips one picture.  Sometimes three or more. 

Also tried viewing the folder in list format instead of thumbnails, although that defeats my purposes.  That does not work either.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Yep, skipping photos here too. It's usually in increments of 8 on the viewer. I don't want to "refresh" or re-arrange the photos. Sometimes I want to see two pictures, one right after the other, and they weren't taken chronologically on my camera. For example, I want to see photo Photo005 *immediately* after Photo001, and I've arranged them this way in the explorer window. IDK. This is an old thread--any new solutions? I have the Windows 7 upgrade disk and just haven't gotten around to installing it--does it upgrade this viewer by chance? Or fix the problem?
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:23 PM
  • To anyone saying that refreshing Explorer/Photo Gallery fixes the problem: you're all idiots. Read the freakin question and test it on your own.

The problem has nothing to do with renaming files, or things coming out of order, or the specific machine running, or the NEXT button (which is just that, the NEXT button in WinPhotoGal, not some next button on one's keyboard/laptop/Fn key/etc. duh.), or any of your other MS-typical answers giving some unknown factor as the cause of a problem.

IN WIN VISTA, WHEN VIEWING A FOLDER OF THUMBNAILS, AND YOU "PREVIEW" OR "OPEN WITH" WIN PHOTO GAL, THEN CLICK NEXT (OR THE "RIGHT ARROW") IN WIN PHOTO GAL TO GO TO THE NEXT IMAGE, IT SKIPS TO THE NEXT ***VERTICALLY-ALIGNED*** IMAGE INSTEAD OF THE NEXT ***HORIZONTALLY-ALIGNED*** IMAGE AS COMMON SENSE AND 100% OF PREVIOUS OS BEHAVIOUR WOULD SUGGEST. REGARDLESS OF WINDOW SZ/RESOLUTION/MACHINE/KEYBOARD/ETC, IT WILL *ALWAYS* JUMP TO THE NEXT IMAGE BELOW THE CURRENTLY-SELECTED ONE IN THE CURRENT ICON MATRIX IN THE CURRENTLY-VIEWING FOLDER. PERIOD.

So, is there a workaround, will M$ address this problem, or do we have to wait until yet another OS/gigantic Svc Pack before this simple, STUPID, overlooked problem is fixed?
    Friday, October 29, 2010 6:37 AM