Application hanging on install - ZTI Heartbeat RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm using MDT 2013 Update 1 to create a Windows Server 2012 R2 image with certain modifications including installing  a number of applications.

I'm having some issues whereby the deployment seems to hang for 5 - 60 minutes where it looks like nothing is happening.

The first time I encountered this is when I used the Cleanup_before_sysprep script created by Michael N. The build seemed to just hang for 15 - 30 minutes and then would crank back up and complete the build.

The next time I've encountered it is trying to install the Citrix VDAWorkstationsetup.exe. Again, the install seems to just hang until I interact with the OS and move a window around. Then it seems to wake up.

Has anyone come across this type of behaviour before? If so, is there a way to troubleshoot it to find out what's going on?

What log files am i looking for and where would they reside?

Thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi all, wrapping the setup in a VBScript and running that instead of the exe in the task sequence fixed my issue.
    • Marked as answer by irishsparks Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:13 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:13 PM

All replies

• If the exe that is being ran doesn't report status that can happen.  Cleanmgr.exe doesn't which is why it seems to hang.

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:51 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. So if the EXE isnt' reporting a status, what's the work around?

Is the workaround to wrap the installation in a script or batch file? I will attempt that now and see what happens.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 1:12 PM
  • That is something you could do.  It will update status in the logs but, the progress bar will of the TS will look like it is hung to the tech doing the install.

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:30 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 5:43 PM
  • Hi all, wrapping the setup in a VBScript and running that instead of the exe in the task sequence fixed my issue.
    • Marked as answer by irishsparks Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:13 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:13 PM