RPC service log on change? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have installed SP3 on about 20 of my machines. I have 2 windows 2003 servers. I lost my VPN to travelers but got that back by changing a few compression options on my network connection. I have been trouble shooting my WMI errors now and find that during SP2 I followed the Microsoft TechNet Manual for system services. It states that RPC SHOULD be "Log On As: LocalSystem". this was working well without any WMI errors in SP2. Now that I have installed SP3 it changed my RPC on every system (that is is installed on "only") to "Log On As: NetworkService". and I have WMI errors on all computers. I also get a error in System log that is "Netlogon" Site is invalid. I can cure the Netlogon error by simply editing "HKLM\software\polcies\microsoft\netlogon\parameters "SiteName" to drop the .com and it then works with my DNS and error is gone.

Now if I change RPC to LocalSystem my WMI problems disappear. does any one know if RPC has changed to need  Log On As: NetworkService or can we change it back to LocalSystem? am I undoing any security by this change?

thanks

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:18 PM