unexpected shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• (not sure if this is the right forum, sorry)
    Windows Vista, Home Edition

I recently got a laptop in march 08 (dell inspiron) and it's been fine up 'til yesterday.

I had symantec/norton antivirus but I wanted to go for a better program so I downloaded AVG (recommended by my friend) torrent file.  After downloading it, I installed it then deleted my previous programs.  Right after that, my wireless immediately stopped working and I tried everything to make it work; didn't fix though.  Also some of my programs wouldn't open, and my computer was going pretty slowly (which is unusual because it normally doesn't).  I uninstalled AVG but still nothing was fixed.  I decided to do a system restore from when I installed AVG (so all my programs were back, AVG was not yet on my computer, etc).  Things were working fine for a couple of minutes (my internet was back, programs were opening, etc) but then it unexpectedly shutdown.  It came up with a blue screen system crash or something (I can't remember, but it's the screen that comes up when your computer unexpectedly shuts down, so it was nothing different).  So the computer restarted, I got on and it did Windows installer for symantec, but it never seemed to finish.  Also when I got a popup for "Your system has unexpectedly shut down, check solution" it would not check for a solution, the window would just close.  And then my computer would shut down again.  Every time I try to get back in, it shuts down after about 30s-1min.  I'm in safe mode now with networking, but I'm not sure what to do to fix this problem.

Thanks
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It seems that the problem began to occur since installing AVG that you downloaded via Torrent file. So the most critical part of this issue is where you get this software and whether it may contains risks to your computer.

To scan your system if it’s infected by virus, confirm if your system is virus free. You may use Windows Live OneCare safety scanner:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-ca/default.htm?mkt=en-us

If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft Product Support Services.

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

• Edited by Sabrina Shen Friday, April 6, 2012 2:46 AM PCSafety Center update
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:06 AM

All replies

•  

hi dear.

to fis this  problem , you need to buy kaspersky and intsall it in ur laptop. as your laptop is has been infected with the virus. so get the kaspersky it will sort this out.. if it won't hit me back ..

Friday, June 6, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Hello,

It seems that the problem began to occur since installing AVG that you downloaded via Torrent file. So the most critical part of this issue is where you get this software and whether it may contains risks to your computer.

To scan your system if it’s infected by virus, confirm if your system is virus free. You may use Windows Live OneCare safety scanner:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-ca/default.htm?mkt=en-us

If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft Product Support Services.

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

• Edited by Sabrina Shen Friday, April 6, 2012 2:46 AM PCSafety Center update
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:06 AM
  • I have the same problem with vista basic and trying to find out where that button that I rember seeing that said "prevent windows" from shutting down or something like that"
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 7:30 AM