none
Can I remove / rejoin DPM 2007 Server to the Domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Came back in after the weekend and have a problem with the DPM server that it cannot communicate with any of the protected agents.

I get  the error message: -

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

I have followed all the docs I can find and still haven't fixed it. Is it possible to remove the DPM server from the domain and rejoin it? Would it cause more problems / not supported as I know DPM must be joined to a domain in order to install.

Thanks in advance.

Microsoft Partner
    • Edited by rEMOTE_eVENT Monday, August 9, 2010 2:07 PM spelling
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• yes you can safely join a workgroup, then rejoin the domain, but you can also use this procedure.

• Use Netdom.exe version 1.8 from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit to fix the issue:

1. Logon to the console of the member DPM server with the broken secure channel as a local administrator
    2. Copy netdom.exe version 1.8 from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource kit to a folder on the member computer
    3. Open an elevated command prompt and issue this command to successfully resets the SC

NETDOM4.exe /Domain:NetBIOSdomainname /user:domainadmin /password:domainadminpassword MEMBER problemcomputer /JOINDOMAIN

4. Log off and immediately log back on to the domain. Reboot can be delayed.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:35 PM
  • So this is a known issue? I rebooted the domain controller and looks like that finally fixed it!  
    Microsoft Partner
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:32 PM

All replies

• yes you can safely join a workgroup, then rejoin the domain, but you can also use this procedure.

• Use Netdom.exe version 1.8 from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit to fix the issue:

1. Logon to the console of the member DPM server with the broken secure channel as a local administrator
    2. Copy netdom.exe version 1.8 from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource kit to a folder on the member computer
    3. Open an elevated command prompt and issue this command to successfully resets the SC

NETDOM4.exe /Domain:NetBIOSdomainname /user:domainadmin /password:domainadminpassword MEMBER problemcomputer /JOINDOMAIN

4. Log off and immediately log back on to the domain. Reboot can be delayed.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:35 PM
  • So this is a known issue? I rebooted the domain controller and looks like that finally fixed it!  
    Microsoft Partner
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:32 PM
  • This was not a DPM issue, you must investigate why secure channel broke - sounds like DC problem.  Glat to hear the issue is resolved.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:44 PM