none
DPM 2012 R2 - Item Level Recovery error when Descending into a .VHDX only 2008 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I need to remove and reinstall my DPM 2012 R2 RU6.

Everything works fine. Then I tried the Item Level Recovery. On every 2008 Server I receive the same Error:

PM cannot browse the contents of the virtual machine on the protected computer xxx.xxx.ch. Item level recovery is not supported in the following scenarios.
    1. The VHD contains a dynamic disk inside the guest OS.
    2. The VHD has no volume.
    3. HyperV role is not installed on DPM server.
    4. Automatic mounting of volumes is disabled on the DPM server.

1) Try enabling automatic mounting of volumes using mountvol on the DPM server to preform item level recovery.
    2) Otherwise perform a full restore of the virtual machine.

ID: 958
    Details: Internal error code: 0x80990F4E

All this Hyper-V VHDX Server are on a 2012 R2 Cluster.

For Testing I have a Standalone HyperV Server. On this every 2008 Server works fine.

All 2012 Server works fine.

Any Idea.

Thanks in advanced for any Tip.

Roendi

Friday, May 29, 2015 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you try restoring just the .vhdx file locally on the DPM server, then try to mount that .vhdx file using windows disk management under action - then 'attach vhd" and see if it mounds successfully. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 1, 2015 7:46 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for your answer. I tried your Tip and I can mount the restored VHDX without any Problem over the Disk Management.

Roendi

• Edited by Roendi Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    1. The VHD contains a dynamic disk inside the guest OS.
    2. The VHD has no volume.
    3. HyperV role is not installed on DPM server.
    4. Automatic mounting of volumes is disabled on the DPM server.
    >snip>

OK - so we can rule the first two causes since it can be mounted manually.  The 3rd cause is no longer applicable if the DPM server is Windows 2008 R2 or later.  The 4th cause is unlikely since you can perform ILR for other non-windows 2008 R2 VHD's.  This leaves us with a possible problem in VHD manager which is called during ILR to mount the .vhdx.   I think this may take further troubleshooting.  Can you look in Windows event logs and also under the under Application and services - Microsoft - Hyper-V-vmms logs for mount failures.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Hi Mark

Sorry for the delay.

I am looking on all Event Logs. But I cant see any Entry about this Failur.

Thanks for your Assistance

Roendi

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:40 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately this will require additional investigation that cannot be done if a forum setting.

If you want to pursue this immediately, you can visit the following web site to open a support incident. The charge to your Credit Card will not be processed until your case is resolved and closed, if it's a code defect in the DPM then we wave all charges.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

In the Quick product finder, enter:

System Center 2012 R2 then select System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager

In the next screen, chose the option that applies.

Friday, June 5, 2015 4:20 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for your Tipp. But I have very bad experiance with the DPM Support. We have open a Case to Item Level Recovery from SharePoint about 1 Year. No Solution at this Moment.

So we can life with this Error.

Have a great Day

Roendi

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:01 AM
  • Hi Roendi,

Sorry for not having addtional information regarding your question in this thread, but while reading your last reply I just wanted to give you this link to a video regarding Item Level Recovery(ILR) from SharePoint.

ILR in SharePoint can be very hard to get a hold on if one is not familiar with how SharePoint work different versions: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/SharePoint-Conference/2012/SPC208.
    The restore parts start at 44:45 in the video and I hope it could help you find a solution to the ongoing case.

Kind Regards
    Markus

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:45 AM
  • Hi Markus

You are very gentil.

The Problem is. It works one Time after your start the hole SharePoint Server. If you tried a second Restore somthing gos wrong on the Agent from SharePoint. The second Restore it can not Mount the Snapshot from the SQL Database. Then it will restore the hole Database. This is the Problem.

Have a great Day

Roendi

Monday, June 8, 2015 7:47 AM