Sequencing Quickbooks Pro 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Has anyone successfully sequenced QuickBooks Pro 2011?  We are trying to get this done and are running into several errors during the install.  We get errors 1603 and 1904.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Joe

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:47 PM

Answers

• I've been running into issues with sequencing QB for a long time. I found this article that I followed with a couple of minor exceptions for my environment, but it worked very well for me.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2011/05/18/how-to-sequence-quickbooks-2011-using-microsoft-app-v-4-6.aspx

The differences for me were that I had to sequence on a Win2K8 box so I could run it on a RDS server. Also, it doesn't really go into the fact that I had to install, pull the files out of the temp folder, revert the server and then resequence it from the temp files. But most of you who do this type stuff long enough will kind of get that. (I'm still relatively new.)

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Tim

One quick edit: after Appv-ing the program, and removing the ecml, we find that we have to re-register the software from the website. (Not the license key)  Apparently this is an user based appdata file... Not sure if it is going to be for each user or not. We have a limited number of accounting users and we are still working this out...

• Proposed as answer by thartpence Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:19 PM
    • Edited by thartpence Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Has anyone successfully sequenced QuickBooks Pro 2011?  We are trying to get this done and are running into several errors during the install.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Joe

• Moved by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:55 PM Please do not post questions in the Sequencing Recipe forum (From:App-V Sequencing Recipe Forum)
    • Merged by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:31 PM Thread cleanup
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:19 PM
  • This sub-forum is for completed application/package recipes only. Please re-post the question in this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/appvgeneralsequencing/threads
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:13 PM
  • The only QuickBooks recipes that look to be available are these:

What are errors 1603 and 1904? When do you see these errors? Does the application install on the same sequencing machine but without the Sequencer running?

What prerequisites does QuickBooks have? Can these be virtualised or do they require installing before sequecing QuickBooks?

Are you using the App-V 4.6 SP1 Sequencer? What operating system are you using? What steps are you following during sequencing?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hello Aaron,

Thank you for the reply.  I am asking my App-V engineer, Shaun Peterson to reply to your thread because he is directly involved and can answer your questions.

Thanks,
    Joe

Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Hello Aaron,

I have attempted both mentioned articles except for on Win7. The first error I see is error 1904 module. q:\qbpro2011\icwrapper.dll failed to register. The install will continue and then the next error comes up which is the following:Error installing c:\users\admini-1\Appdata\local\temp\pro\qbooks. MSI Returned 1603. Fatal Error during installation. This has occured on Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Sequencer machines. If I do a straight install to the machine without sequencing QB installs without issue. I am going to use a XP Sp3 machine and see if that works. Please let me know of any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Shaun

Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Hello,

See this article;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237294

Error 1904 could be caused by other programs locking the file - such as antivirus or similiar types of servies.

/Znack
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:04 PM
  • There is no av on the machine, it's a fresh install with nothing applied. I have tried both of those articles and I don't believe it's related to something locking the file. Also we are using App-v 4.6 Sp1 for the Sequencer.

Thanks,

Shaun

Friday, April 1, 2011 1:11 PM
  • I've attempted with the free version of QuickBooks - QuickBooks SimpleStart and see the same 1904 and 1603 errors when installing on a Windows 7 VM (vanilla, no AV or other apps) inside and outside of the Sequencer.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, July 9, 2011 7:49 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 5:38 PM
  • I still see those errors. Now on a Win Xp machine Vanilla, it will complete the sequencing process but there is a issue with one service not closing when closing QB. It opens that service when qb is launched. I will add that service into the reply later on. Thanks.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 1:54 PM
  • My recipe on sequencing QuickBooks was based on an older version of quickbooks.  In it, it was necessary to work around a licening file.  I recall (but do not have info on) sequencing  the newer version.  In the newer version, the licencing changed, but I only needed to locate the new file and remove it from the package also.  Removing this file causes the licensing to be performed at the client, which is what most people want for that product anyway. 
    Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joe Rainero Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Joe Rainero Friday, August 12, 2011 3:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Joe Rainero Friday, August 12, 2011 3:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:24 PM
  • Hello Mark,

This recipe needs updating because our issue is still not resolved.  Having trouble with the registration file.

Thanks,
    Joe 

Saturday, July 9, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Aaron Parker,

Your link is not working and I don't understand what you mean - I would like to get to my thread please so we can continue and possibly get to a "completed application/package recipe".

Thanks,
    Joe 

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:56 PM
  • This thread? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/794bad8b-e8f1-4c25-b664-942b6bc21661

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hello Mark,

We're still having issues with QuickBooks Pro 2011.  When we open the application, it prompts us to register.  We can click through and register and get into our company file, but the next time we try to open the application, we get a license error.  Here's what it says:

Could not initialize license properties
    [Error 3371,StatusCode - 11118] QuickBooks could not load the
    license data.  This may be caused by missing or damaged files.

For troubleshooting steps, not the error and type the following in a Web browser window:

www.quickbooks.com/support/register.html

How can we get this to work?

Thanks,
    Joe 

Friday, August 12, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Hello,

Have you investigated from where it attempts to load the license data? Does it find the relevant files?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:53 PM
  • I've been running into issues with sequencing QB for a long time. I found this article that I followed with a couple of minor exceptions for my environment, but it worked very well for me.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2011/05/18/how-to-sequence-quickbooks-2011-using-microsoft-app-v-4-6.aspx

The differences for me were that I had to sequence on a Win2K8 box so I could run it on a RDS server. Also, it doesn't really go into the fact that I had to install, pull the files out of the temp folder, revert the server and then resequence it from the temp files. But most of you who do this type stuff long enough will kind of get that. (I'm still relatively new.)

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Tim

One quick edit: after Appv-ing the program, and removing the ecml, we find that we have to re-register the software from the website. (Not the license key)  Apparently this is an user based appdata file... Not sure if it is going to be for each user or not. We have a limited number of accounting users and we are still working this out...

• Proposed as answer by thartpence Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:19 PM
    • Edited by thartpence Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:19 PM