Windows 10 CBS file size is 205GB and up RRS feed

• Question

• the windows CBS log file keeps getting rebuilt by the windows modules installer even after I deleted the CBS file after it reached a 205GB in size. I disabled windows modules installer, and rebooted the system and deleted the CBS.log file and CbsPersist files. After I rebooted with windows modules installer enabled, the ever growing CBS.log file had again been rebuilt up to 2.5GB and counting up.

Please help regarding this. As of right now my i7-7500 cores are used upto 35% simply by the windows modules installer. And constantly use 300 MB of my RAM.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 11:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Operation such as SFC.exe, Windows Update installation and etc. component- based servicing will write entries to CBS.log file. And CBS.log is copied to cbs.persist.log once it reaches a certain size limitation and a new cbs.log file is started.  

Manually delete and clear CBS.log as you had tried is one of possible way to clear disk space. Also, you can create a task schedule to run CBS.log deleting script regularly and periodically.

Clean Up Component-Based Servicing logs:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/38259.clean-up-component-based-servicing-logs.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 29, 2017 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:34 AM