Outlook 2013 tagging .doc files unsafe for 1 user RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with only one user. When he tries to send a .doc file, an error pops up saying "This item contains attachments that are potentially unsafe. Recipients using Microsoft Outlook may not be able to open these attachments." Followed by "Do you want to send anyway?"

What could be causing this problem to happen with only one user? He hasn't reported having any issues opening attachments, just sending .doc files.

• Moved by Steve Fan Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:55 AM Move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Monday, July 24, 2017 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It looks like this issue happens to all .doc files, correct? 

Does this issue happen when sending other type of attachments (Office files or non-Office files)?

Does the user have all available updates installed for his Outlook and Windows OS? What's the exact build number of his Outlook client? Could you please help compare the version of the affected Outlook client and non-affected Outlook clients? 

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, August 7, 2017 8:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by masonmarlo Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:12 AM
  • I'll have to check the build version at another time and get back to you, but it does it to all .doc files, and I believe that user's outlook has all available updates installed.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply, it never alerted me there was a reply to the thread like it should have.

• Edited by masonmarlo Monday, August 7, 2017 7:27 PM Forgot to add a statement
    Monday, August 7, 2017 7:26 PM
  • Okay, I have checked the build version of both clients. They are the same. 15.0.4953.1001. Then there is one that says "MSO" before it and says 15.0.4953.1000. I assume that's the version of outlook vs the version of the whole office suite? Anyways, it does not happen to any other attachments except .doc file attachments.
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:23 PM