Corrupt File Association? RRS feed

• Question

• I use Office 2003 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    Doc and docx files are set to open with Word.
    There is no problem with doc and docx files automatically opening with Word. No problem viewing and editing them.
    PROBLEM: doc files are not viewable in Preview Panes of Windows Explorer (nor in preview panes of other file managing apps).

In my "Set Associations" window, doc (etc) files are shown as using Word as their default app.
    But if I go to "Change Program" window, it surprisingly shows WordPad as the default.
    Clicking on Word did not succeed in 'changing' it to show Word as the default app.
    So I Browsed to winword.exe (on my system at D:\TEXT\Microsoft Office 2003\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE) and set WORD as the default app that way.
    But I still find that if I later go to "Change program" again, it always reverts to showing WordPad as the default again. Here is screen cap:

Everything about automatically opening, viewing and editing doc files works fine. The ONLY problem is inability to view the contents in Preview panes. I would like very much to regain this ability (which I have not had for a long time). Do not know what was done to the system way-back-when which caused this problem.

Thanks very much for any help.
    Janet

• Edited by janje Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:52 PM
    Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Janet,

I'm afraid that Office earlier than 2007 won't show the contents in Preview pane.
    If you have Office 2007 or later in other PCs, you will see the contents of a Word document in Preview pane. 

# Your issue is not related to file-association.
    • Edited by Ashidacchi Monday, May 8, 2017 1:14 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:53 AM
    Monday, May 8, 2017 1:04 AM
  • Hi Janet,

Please check whether Ashidacchi's reply is helpful to your question.

In addition, Microsoft has ended the support for Office 2003 version. In order to get better support and user experience, it's recommended to upgrade to a newer version. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:53 AM