How do you change the sub document file loation RRS feed

• Question

• We use the master document and sub document feature in word 2007 to do our manuals. We recently moved these to a new server. Unfortunately some of the sub documents still link to the old server.

Is there anyway to change the file loation of the sub document?

I have seen one suggestion of saving as an xml file, however this seems to break the master document as you can no longer expand the sub documents.

All help greatfully accepted.

Regards

Richard

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

Please download and install this Hotfix:
    “Description of the Office Word 2007 hotfix package (Word-x-none.msp, Wordconv-x-none.msp): April 27, 2010”

• Consider the following scenario:
      • You have an Office Word 2007 document that links to a sub document that is saved locally.
      • You move the sub document to a Universal Naming Convention (UNC) share.
      • You try to open the sub document in the master document.
    In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
    Cannot open the specified file.
    • Consider the following scenario:
      • You have an Office Word 2007 document that links to a sub document. The sub document is saved in a Universal Naming Convention (UNC) share.
      • You move the sub document to the local computer.
      • You try to open the sub document in the master document.
    In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
    Cannot open the specified file.

If you move a folder containing a master document with its subdocuments to another drive, All that was needed  to agree to update all links the first time that the master document was opened after the move. This works with no manual changes to the paths of the subdocuments.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 
    William Zhou
    Forum Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Sharksguts Monday, October 31, 2011 11:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sharksguts Monday, October 31, 2011 11:43 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 1:27 AM
  • I have tried the fix on two seperate machines. One Word 2007 the other word 2010.

Word 2007 machine says "The expected version of the product was not found on the system" this is running on XP 64 bit and with the latest Office 2007 SP3 updates

Word 2010 machine when I run the fix comes up with "The installation of this package failed"

Regards

Richard

Monday, October 31, 2011 11:50 AM