Exchange PowerShell command to set limited permissions to shared mailbox and all its sub-folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone assist with how to grant user's limited permissions to a shared mailbox and all it's subfolders? User's need to be able to read, reply and drag and drop emails into different Inbox sub-folders but as they are not allowed to delete emails, I cannot use 'FullAccess'.

I've tried the below 2 commands but the permissions only apply to the root inbox and not the sub-folders:

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity <mailbox Alias>-User <affected user email address>-AccessRights ReadPermission -InheritanceType all

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity <mailbox Alias> -User <affected user email address> -AccessRights PublishingAuthor

Is anyone able to assist?

Thanks in advance
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:29 AM

All replies

• You will have to recurse all subfolders and set their permissions.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:12 AM
  • Why invent kludgy solutions:

Get- MailboxFolder $folder -Recurse | Add-MailboxFolderPermission 

Learn PowerShell before it is too late!!!! ....

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:54 AM
  • I tried Get-MailboxFolder but this only works for your own mailbox and not for other mailboxes? Or am I supposed to be logged in as this shared mailbox and running this command? 
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:53 AM
  • I tried Get-MailboxFolder but this only works for your own mailbox and not for other mailboxes? Or am I supposed to be logged in as this shared mailbox and running this command? 

Read the help for the command to learn how to use it.  That is why all commands come with help.  You have to have permission on the mailbox and specify the folder and mailbox name.  The help has examples of most of the ways to do this.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:59 AM
  • Hint:

Get-MailboxFolder -GetChildren -Identity bsmith

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:03 AM