802.1x and Fast Connect RRS feed

• Question

• What does the Fast Connect option do?

I see it set on the PEAP options for EAP on NPS, as well as it is configurable in the authentication tab of the NIC on the client.

I have it turned off because I saw this in a tutorial (nap step by step for dot1x).  Do you know if this needs to be enabled?

I have quarantine checks enabled, others are unchecked.

Thanks,
    Derek

Derek
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Derek,

Fast reconnect uses cached credentials for part of the 802.1X authentication process. You can read about it for wireless networking here.

You should be able to enable it and not have any problems. Cached credentials did cause problems at one point because the health state of the NAP client was being cached and therefore healthy computers were evaluated as unhealthy. You'll find some problems related to this in older posts on this forum. I believe that problem was fixed however and you shouldn't see it anymore.

-Greg

Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Derek,

Fast reconnect uses cached credentials for part of the 802.1X authentication process. You can read about it for wireless networking here.

You should be able to enable it and not have any problems. Cached credentials did cause problems at one point because the health state of the NAP client was being cached and therefore healthy computers were evaluated as unhealthy. You'll find some problems related to this in older posts on this forum. I believe that problem was fixed however and you shouldn't see it anymore.

-Greg

Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:06 AM
  • what fixed it?  I remember having this issue, possibly before vista sp1 maybe?
    Derek
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Hi,

This was a fix to the product whereby health credentials did not get cached if health state changed. Previously, if your health state changed (for example due to remediation) your network access would not be updated because the old health state was used with fast reconnect.

-Greg

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:12 AM