none
POSReady7 32bit clean install problems with empty "Windows features on or off" box RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with configure POSReady7 (clean install from MS DVD with licencekey). After installing the OS I try to configure the Windows Features with "Optionalfeatures.exe". 

First the "Windows features on or off" box is not showing and give a error message that i'm not the administrator. 

After running the regfile Enable_Windows_Features.reg the box is starting but empty.. 

I checked the sfc.exe /scannow and downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool without any responce. 
    I tried also diverend DVD's from MS and HP and tested it on 2 different machines.. :-( 

Please help! 

Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:41 PM

Answers

• Johan,

This is the default behavior for Windows Embedded POSReady 7.  The Enable/Disable dialog is not populated with Windows Embedded images therefore we suppress this dialog using Group Policy which results in the dialog that you are seeing.  Windows Embedded images have alot more flexibility than Windows client and we provide detail in our documentation which you can fine in the POSReady 7 Users Guide folder on the DVD or in the \Windows\Help\POSReady 7 Users Guide folder of your installed image.  This documentation will help you understand the flexibility and how to configure your image to remove certain functionality.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, December 2, 2011 8:02 PM

All replies

• Johan,

This is the default behavior for Windows Embedded POSReady 7.  The Enable/Disable dialog is not populated with Windows Embedded images therefore we suppress this dialog using Group Policy which results in the dialog that you are seeing.  Windows Embedded images have alot more flexibility than Windows client and we provide detail in our documentation which you can fine in the POSReady 7 Users Guide folder on the DVD or in the \Windows\Help\POSReady 7 Users Guide folder of your installed image.  This documentation will help you understand the flexibility and how to configure your image to remove certain functionality.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, December 2, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Thanks.. I started reading into the User Guide.. 

I hope its not to difficult to configure..

I need to reduce the Image size for a customer with more than 3000 systems. 

Best Regards,

Johan van der Wielen

Simac Retail, The Netherlands

Friday, December 2, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Johan,

POSReady is designed with image flexibility in mind to allow you to reduce the attack surface as well as reduce the footprint, however please make sure that you take into consideration image growth when selecting your storage size.  As the image is serviced in the field with security updates there is a growth rate.  We recommend a minimum storage of 16GB for the operating system, line of business application, management software etc. to accomodate potential growth over the life of the system.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:16 AM
  • Good day,

I have read your article, and have the same issue.I have ran these two programs below, but I still do not see any entrances in the "Windows features on or off".

Could you please help me solve the issues, since i cannot enable my asp extensions in the IIS features.

thanks

sfc.exe /scannow

Windows6.0-KB947821-v15-x86.msu

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:07 PM