none
Undo a date for a deliverable from the Project Time RRS feed

• Question

• I am very new to Project.  I am using 2010 in 2007 compatability mode.  I have some deliverables which do not affect the task dates.  How do I detatch these deliverable dates from the task start/finish dates?

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:02 PM

Answers

• Actually there are 22 deliverables some on multiple occassions in the course of a year.  The project begins for a year then will increase annually for the next six years with the deliverables occuring each year.  The one which happened after the end of the first year was the first one I did by luck of the draw.  I had finished a 6 hour telcom review completing the first year taskings when I began work again on this.  Though I still do not know how to detatch the deliverable time from the main timeline I did manage to fool Project and got what I needed.  Thank you and I apoloogize for the frustration voiced in your response.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:08 AM

All replies

• Gandolf01 --

Are you using Project Server 2010?  Assuming so, select a task on which you added a Deliverable.  In the Insert section of the Task ribbon, click the Deliverable pick list button and select the Create Deliverables item.  Alternately, you can click the Deliverable pick list button and select Manage Deliverables.  In the Deliverables sidepane, you can click the name of the Deliverable to edit it or delete it.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:25 PM
  • No, I am using Project 2010.  I am sorry, have I posted in the wrong forum?

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Dale, thank you so much for your time, I appreciate it.  I did see how to do what you told me yesterday and tried it only to find out you have to be using Project Server.  As powerful as Project is, I know there is a way to enter a task where the start/finish dates can be tied to date(s) on another task but not affect the timeline in the least.

I have a deliverable due 60 calendar days prior to a test event.  I want to tie it's due date to the beginning date of the test event, back schedule it from that day (I have accomplished all that) but not affect the dates of the project itself because it is a stand alone event which it's dates effect nothing.

Friday, March 30, 2012 5:06 PM
  • If your Deliverable task is Task 1, and your Test Event task is Task 2, then set the Predecessor for Task 1 to be:  2SF-60ed

That will cause your Deliverable task to be scheduled to finish 60 calendar days before the start of the Test Event.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Thank you sir, I will give it a try latter this afternoon after my telecom.

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:56 PM
  • I tried it using 146SF+45ed  Task 146 Start to Finish 45 days after end date.  It calulated it fine but the end date of the project was ed of 146, when I did this it changed my overall project end date by the 45 days I added.  I would like to do this but NOT extend the project end date.  Basically is there something I can do where a task entered is calculated with tasking dates but that task dates do not affect any of the project dates?

This is a deliverable report based on delivery 45 days after completion of the project.  It's date has nothing to do with the project dates other than beginning on the final day and should not affect the overall project dates or task dates within the project.

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:21 PM
  •  now seems you want to do the reverse of what you described earlier.  You now want the deliverable to be scheduled to occur AFTER the end of the project.  And you want that deliverable task not to affect the overall project schedule.

You cannot do that within a single schedule.  You could create a separate schedule for the deliverable, and link it to the "real" project.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, March 30, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Actually there are 22 deliverables some on multiple occassions in the course of a year.  The project begins for a year then will increase annually for the next six years with the deliverables occuring each year.  The one which happened after the end of the first year was the first one I did by luck of the draw.  I had finished a 6 hour telcom review completing the first year taskings when I began work again on this.  Though I still do not know how to detatch the deliverable time from the main timeline I did manage to fool Project and got what I needed.  Thank you and I apoloogize for the frustration voiced in your response.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:08 AM