Outlook 2016 Always ask before opening attachement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, is there a way to have that setting deployed via group policy instead of performing a right click and then run as admin to remove the checkmark. The reason is that every time there is an Office update that process need to be done over and over again.

Thank you

Monday, December 18, 2017 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to my research, we can disable “Always ask before opening Dialog” using Registry Editor. To do this, please press Win + R, type regedit and then press Enter to open the Registry Editor.

(Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

Please refer to this article about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows.)

Locate the following key for your version of Office and Windows in the Registry:

• If you are using 32-bit Outlook on Windows 64-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Classes\

• If you are using Windows 7 (and newer) with Office in the same bitness (both Office and Windows are 32 bit, or both are 64bit)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

To disable always asking before opening, create or change the EditFlags Binary value to 00 00 01 00.

You may have to find the value one by one according to the file type. Please check following information:

DOC:    Word.Document.8

DOCX: Word.Document.12

PDF:     AcroExch.Document

XLSX:   Excel.Sheet.12

XLS:      Excel.Sheet.8

PPT:     PowerPoint.Show.8

PPTX:  PowerPoint.Show.12

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by fr4nk1985 Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:27 PM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, we can disable “Always ask before opening Dialog” using Registry Editor. To do this, please press Win + R, type regedit and then press Enter to open the Registry Editor.

(Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

Please refer to this article about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows.)

Locate the following key for your version of Office and Windows in the Registry:

• If you are using 32-bit Outlook on Windows 64-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Classes\

• If you are using Windows 7 (and newer) with Office in the same bitness (both Office and Windows are 32 bit, or both are 64bit)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

To disable always asking before opening, create or change the EditFlags Binary value to 00 00 01 00.

You may have to find the value one by one according to the file type. Please check following information:

DOC:    Word.Document.8

DOCX: Word.Document.12

PDF:     AcroExch.Document

XLSX:   Excel.Sheet.12

XLS:      Excel.Sheet.8

PPT:     PowerPoint.Show.8

PPTX:  PowerPoint.Show.12

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Perry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by fr4nk1985 Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:27 PM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Perfect, I knew it was something with the registry and now that you said that, I have checked with PROCMON what happen when you run as admin to remove the always open with. I will try to push that via a GPO and let you know the result.

Thank you for your research

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:27 PM
  • You are welcome~

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:20 AM
  • I have figured out all of them except for .TIF and .TIFF files.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:15 PM