none
Unable to fix DPM 2007 "Replica is inconsistent" RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have been running DPM 2007 (MMC 3.0 Ver 5.2 SP2) on a Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit Standard Edition physical server (HP DL 380 G6) for two and a half years with few problems, but now we are seeing a problem with Replicas being inconsistent that refuse to become consistent. Here are the details of one of the cases:

Replica path:               D:\ on <FQDN_Server> C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\<FQDN_Server>\File System\
                                        D-673f06d6-8b19-11df-b36e-005056000001\d3188f9b-cbfe-4ab7-887b-9466b4f681e4\Full\
    Latest recovery point: 8/22/2012 8:28:13 AM
    Oldest recovery point: 8/1/2012 8:24:29 AM
    Total recovery points:  22
    Disk allocation:            Replica volume: 97.71 GB allocated, 52.20 GB used | Recovery point volume: 1,000.00 GB allocated, 569.50 GB used

The DPM Alerts in the Event Logs say:

"The replica of D:\ on <FQDN_Server> is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3163) DPM has run out of free space on the recovery point volume for D:\ on <FQDN_Server>. Protection for this data source will fail in order to prevent existing recovery points from being deleted before their expiration. (ID: 30077)"

Right-clicking and selecting "Perform consistency check . . ." does not fix the issue.

NOTE: The replica path location on the DPM server is pointing to the C: drive that is 136 GB in size with 63GB free space.

What are the possible reasons we are seeing this, and why can't I get these consistent?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:34 PM

All replies

• Hi SFMChris,

Right-click the protection group that manages the datasource you are refering to and choose modify diskallocation. Increase the recovery point volume in the DPM diskpool for the D:\ datasource. The error states:

"The replica of D:\ on <FQDN_Server> is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3163) DPM has run out of free space on the recovery point volume for D:\ on <FQDN_Server>. Protection for this data source will fail in order to prevent existing recovery points from being deleted before their expiration. (ID: 30077)"

Please post information regaring your progress.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, August 31, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Robert,

I already tried that on the above volume, and now I have tried this on one of the other smaller volumes -- a DC's System State -- (which is showing the same error and the same DPM alerts as the larger volume above). Here are the numbers showing the change for the smaller volume:

STARTING NUMBERS:
        Replica Volume:
            Allocated: 15.11 GB
            Used: 9.70 GB
        Recovery point Volume:
            Allocated: 200.0 GB
            Used: 127.54 GB
    NEW NUMBERS:
        Replica Volume:
            Allocated: 15.11 GB
            Used: 9.70 GB
        Recovery point Volume:
            Allocated: 220.0 GB    << Increased 10%
            Used: 127.54 GB

After increasing the recovery point volume by 10% in the smaller volume case, I ended up with the following error: "Consolidation of recovery points of the replica failed." I then right-clicked the SystemState volume and chose "Create Recovery Point - Disk" (since DPM reported none existed) and waited for that to complete. The end result was that I got to a green OK status in this case. However, the larger volume mentioned in the original statement of the problem, even after adding an additional 300 GB, won't move out of the "Replica is inconsistent" state to any other state when performing a consistency check . . .

If I am truly out of space, why is DPM showing only 569.50 "used" out of 1,000 GB allocated? For this kind of DPM alert, I would expect to see the used number nearly equalling the allocated space. If DPM requires more space then what is left over from the allocated, why doesn't the DPM console (or error/alert message) tell me that? If this is the case, then the "used" metric is useless and DPM needs to show required (unused) space instead. If this is not the case, and space is not an issue, then what else might be the problem?

Thank you for any help,

Chris  

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:10 PM