I Accidentally Made a ProgramData folder in Ducoments... RRS feed

• Question

• I Accidentally Made a ProgramData folder in Ducoments... What should i do?? all my folder in C turn into Program Files i cant delete the folder and even locate it.. and some of my file are missing.. Please do help me.. I'm afraid all my file will lead be corrupted.. Im using Hp Computer and Vista as my windows.. 

Thank you..  

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:25 AM Moved to appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post!

The ProgramData folder should not be deleted. It contains all your application data, like program settings, user data, etc, for all of the installed programs on the computer.

Just for reference, the ProgramData folder holds the same files that were contained in the

\Documents and Settings\All Users  and  \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data folders in XP.

The All Users profile has been renamed Public to better describe its purpose. (Anything stored in this folder is publicly available to all users on the computer.) The contents of certain subfolders within this profile, such as Desktop, merge with the user’s own profile when the user logs on to the computer, just as the All Users profile did in Windows XP. As with All Users in Windows XP the Public profile in Windows Vista has no per-user registry hive because the operating system never loads the profile. In addition, application data previously stored in the All Users profile in Windows XP is now stored in the hidden %SystemDrive%\ProgramData folder in Windows Vista.

For more information about ProgramData, you can refer to the following site:

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-installation-setup/176056-program-files-programdata.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:46 AM