How to remove known folders from "This PC" in Windows Server 2012 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! 

In 2012 R2 in "This PC" view along with Devices and drives few known folders appear: Music, Pictures, Videos etc. I don't need them in RDS Session Host at all (only Documents will be useful). 

Is there a way (I think it should be registry tweak) to remove them from File Explorer? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:49 AM

Answers

• This PC. LAWL!!!! Just when I think Microsoft couldn't do anything else as stupid as what they've done over the last two years, the surprise me again. I predict it's only a matter of time, perhaps less than 18 months, before you see ringtones as a feature in your Winders Server.

Tom1212: No. It does not come anywhere remotely close to what the OP was asking. You didn't even read, let alone comprehend, his question. If I were the OP, I'd take offense at the lack of interest you've taken. I'd be downright insulted. The fact that you'd post a link to something completely unrelated just to post something is insulting. Please keep to yourself if you aren't adding to the discussion.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/28025-pc-add-remove-folders-windows-8-1-a.html

There's some registry hacks to do it. I suppose you could just create a GPO that calls the reg file from a logon script. 

You see TOM1212????  Do you see how you help people? Now shut the hell up.

• Edited by Crand Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Crand Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leonid Kuritsyn Friday, November 8, 2013 5:33 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:37 AM

All replies

• See if this comes close.       http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_hide_a_windows_folder.htm
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:18 PM
  • I am having the same request. Isn't there any microsoft supported solution?

I have to add that I think it is really weird to:
    A) Use "This PC" in a server OS. PC stands for Personal Computer, since when is a server a personal computer?!?!
    B) Put those annoying folders on top on a server OS. Doesn't make any sense to me to put user related folders on top on a server... not to say irritating.

Monday, November 4, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Tom1212, thanks for your reply, but unfortunately it's not a solution: "hidden" mark doesn't actually hidden these folders from File Explorer.

Also it should be centralized solution (Group Policy is preferred) for every user.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:09 AM
  • This PC. LAWL!!!! Just when I think Microsoft couldn't do anything else as stupid as what they've done over the last two years, the surprise me again. I predict it's only a matter of time, perhaps less than 18 months, before you see ringtones as a feature in your Winders Server.

Tom1212: No. It does not come anywhere remotely close to what the OP was asking. You didn't even read, let alone comprehend, his question. If I were the OP, I'd take offense at the lack of interest you've taken. I'd be downright insulted. The fact that you'd post a link to something completely unrelated just to post something is insulting. Please keep to yourself if you aren't adding to the discussion.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/28025-pc-add-remove-folders-windows-8-1-a.html

There's some registry hacks to do it. I suppose you could just create a GPO that calls the reg file from a logon script. 

You see TOM1212????  Do you see how you help people? Now shut the hell up.

• Edited by Crand Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Crand Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leonid Kuritsyn Friday, November 8, 2013 5:33 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Nice find Crand!

Although I understand your frustration against TOM1212, there is really no need nor helpful to get rude towards him.

Not to mention that your first reply (before editing it) was just as unhelpful as the one from Thom1212. You added the actual helpful part later.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:14 AM
  • No, there is a need. If you don't call out these schmucks, they keep dropping their excrement all over these forums. Plus, the complete lack of interest is right in line with how Microsoft has been behaving lately. I won't stand for it and neither should anybody else. I would have been more rude but Microsoft would have deleted my post and you wouldn't have been able to find the answer to your problem. All you'd see is TOM1212's meaningless sentence.

Come to think of it, screw you too. I found the answer and all you have for me is criticism? Why don't you see what a waste of time TOM1212's post is? I'd delete my original post if I didn't think you'd just put it back up and claim you found it. Schmuck.

• Edited by Crand Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:22 AM
  • Dude! You are missing my first comment: Nice find Crand!

What's up with the rude replies? Just because I am calling you out on something on which you are accusing somebody else of you start acting like a winy b*tch? I like your find! It is a very good find! I am thankful for the find. Don't be the schmuck you call out to all the others to be.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:47 AM
  • Crand, thank you so much! It works as intended.

Friday, November 8, 2013 5:33 AM
  • Pretty straightforward:  use Regedit to remove all the GUIDs from the following location:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\

Then logoff and logon.

Step-by-step instructions here:

• http://www.howtogeek.com/168081/how-to-remove-the-folders-from-my-computer-in-windows-8.1/

If you don't know how to use regedit.  Stop now.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:01 PM
  • The link you have posted is related to Win 8 or 8.1 and the registry entries there do not match Server 2012 or 2012 R2.

Please pay attention to the OP operating system.

Now, if you're so smart would by chance have a link to the Server 2012 R2 registry options? If so please be kind and benefit us humble little folks here, sir. Thank you!

Saturday, May 7, 2016 1:02 AM
  • @ Masters CIS: Actually Server 2012 is the server version of Windows 8 and Server 2012 R2 the server version of Windows 8.1. Most of their registry keys are IDENTICAL, including these ones.

Thank you to all who contributed to the solution, this was very helpful to me and I'll be applying it to everything I run from now on.

Monday, January 16, 2017 3:55 PM