App-v Blank Icons when users roam between mutiple systems. RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I have a user environment that has RDS, Windows 7 etc, users can logon to both systems at the same time, both systems use flex profiling.

Appv - Client cache is part of flex profile.

when a user logon system A ( either RDS or Win 7) icons for Appv appear ok.

if user then logs onto another system ( using same account RDS or Win 7) then the Appv icons are ok, however the icons on the original logon: A then go blank\white.

The application will still launch on system A - just the icons seem to go blank.

i cannot explain this other than some type of Appv locking feature - anyone any ideas please "bug, feature or any workarounds".

Thanks

Steve

Stephen Harper UKN Group
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:43 AM

Answers

• Why not remove AppData redirection and solve that issue with Flex Profiles? No need to redirect AppData between both sessions.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Marked as answer by Steharp Friday, September 23, 2011 5:33 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What parts of the profile are you saving?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

Im use full flex folder redirection, appv global cache and client is redirected to SAN storage.

Thanks

Steve.

Stephen Harper UKN Group
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:46 PM
  • I am not really sure what that means.. but essentially the two servers could be working against the same icons-directory at once?

/Znack
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hi

is there any fix for this ?

As i need to have users be able to log onto both environments at once.

Both environments share the redirected folders for the users profile.

Thanks

Steve.

Stephen Harper UKN Group
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Hello,

Again - not really understanding the setup yet, but assuming that my above statement was correct?

Usually its recommended to have a unique user data directory for each session - I can't really say how you can do that with flexprofiles though...

/Znack
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Are both sessions using the same AppData folder at the same time?

Both AppData and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid have to be consistent within a single session.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:51 AM
  •  

Aaron,

Thanks for the explaination - Appdata and Softgrid is being shared.

I will just have to enforce that the user should only log onto one environment at a time, or have seperate redirection for each environment - which is not really an idea solution.

Thanks

Steve.

Stephen Harper UKN Group
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Why not remove AppData redirection and solve that issue with Flex Profiles? No need to redirect AppData between both sessions.

• Marked as answer by Steharp Friday, September 23, 2011 5:33 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:25 PM
  • How about a log off script to clear the icons directory?

We don't retain the icons folder between sessions, as its grows and grows unnecessarily. The icon cache rebuilds each login if its empty.

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:03 AM