none
Windows 7 SP1 IE9 to IE11 upgrade, incorrect shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have over 1000 Windows 7 SP1 64bit machines that we are going to be pushing out IE11 to. I've created a custom IE installer for IE11 and have it setup in SCCM for deployment.

Before the IE11 upgrade, the client PCs have the default shortcuts for IE9 (both an "internet explorer" and "internet explorer 64-bit".

Once the IE11 upgrade runs and is finished, these shortcuts have been replaced by a single "internet explorer" shortcut. BUT it points to the 64bit version of IE11!  Is there something that can be changed within the install package to prevent this? Why is this happening?

We cannot have end users using 64bit IE11.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, I would like to know how you capture the installation package, via IEAK or other ways.

Based on my research, when you check the option of "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode", Internet Explorer will point to 64bit. For IEAK, it will capture your settings in Internet Explorer when you capture installation package. Therefore, we consider if you check this option and then use IEAK to capture it. when you use this package to deploy, this setting is deployed to other machines, so Internet Explorer points to 64 bit.

I suggest you go to "Internet Options" > "Advanced" tab > uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode". After that, capture the installation package again and then deploy.

Hope that can help you.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:28 AM