none
DPM2010,2008 R2 Clister, 2012 R2 vm RRS feed

• Question

• recently came across an issue in an environment where we used DPM 2010 to backup Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machines running on Server 2008R2 Hyper-V cluster. The only option available in DPM for the VM’s was “Backup Using Saved State"

I’d like to use the online backup option: “Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot”.

After some digging I found a forum post which had a reply from a Microsoft employee that suggested to create the following registry key:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    REG_DWORD ScopeSnapshots 0x0

Still not working.

Im new to DPM and any help will be appreciate.

Thanks

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Friday, June 5, 2015 4:10 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 5:56 AM

All replies

• Did you installed the latest updates to your Windows Server 2008 R2 hosts, and then upgrade the integration services inside your Windows Server 2012 R2 VMs ?

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

Friday, June 5, 2015 9:02 AM
  • I don't keep up with DPM that well, but isn't the snapshot option a newer feature that is only available with Hyper-V 2012 or later?

Since Hyper-V introduced live snapshot merge, that is the feature that enabled the scenario.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, June 5, 2015 4:02 PM
  • ill check that

thanks

Sunday, June 7, 2015 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

Protecting Windows Server 2012 VMs with online snapshots you will need at least DPM 2012 with SP1.

Have a look at the support matrix for further information:
    DPM protection support matrix

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:32 AM