server manager hangs on collecting data, i can't install/uninstall any applications, mmc works on random, no errors in any logs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, ive been searching around for for 4-5 hours on google and here and I'm turning a bit desperate

I rebooted the server today, and after that it just hangs on collecting data, mmc stuff works on random, I got evenviewer open, and checked system and application, but it only showed exchange alerts etc, according to itself, everything is fine, which is it not, I can't goto control panel, can't install/uinstall software, cant run windows update, can't connect via RDP etc.

I tried misc solutions I found, like this

1. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter

2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services.

3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items

4. Click OK and choose Restart

but msconfig just hangs when I click OK.

server is a DL380G5 with 64 bit

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:08 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and sending me the file.

However, no error is showed in the System Information.

Now I would like to provide the following suggestions:

1.    Disconnect your network connection to test the issue.

2.    If anything had been installed before the issue began to occur, please uninstall it to test the result.

3.    Update your anti-virus program to the latest version and perform a complete virus scan.

If the issue persists, please understand that to troubleshoot the system hanging issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Monday, August 18, 2008 8:49 AM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 8:48 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

First I would like to confirm the following points:

1.    Had any changes been made on the computer before the issue began to occur, such as an installation or upgrade?

2.    Does any error message appear or does it just hang when opening Control Panel, install/uninstall software, run Windows Update, connect RDP?

3.    Have you installed any anti-virus programs on the computer?

First let’s delete the Server Manager cache files in C:\Windows\System32\ServerManager\Cache.

If it still hangs, I suggest booting into Safe Mode.

Please restart the computer, keep pressing F8 and enter Safe Mode.

Does the hanging issue also occur in Safe Mode? If not, let’s try the steps below in Safe Mode again:

1. Click Start->Run->type msconfig and press Enter.

2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services.

3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items.

4. Click OK and choose Restart.

What’s the result in Normal Mode now?

If the issue persists, please boot into Safe Mode and run your anti-virus programs perform a complete virus scan.

If the issue still occurs after scanning for viruses, please send the System Inforamtion to me for further research:

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Upload the compressed file to me from the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=3e32f38f-0e6a-4b3a-8d5c-8ad6d50df5ef

Password: gSvd99ic_EhP6D

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 15, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Hi, some updates from last post, aprox 1 hour after pressing Ok in msconfig, it decided to ackknowledge it and gave me a message saying it was done, asking to reboot. I booted, but still same results as far as hang goes. but the services are all disabled.

even in safe mode, it would hang on collecting data. iirc I got some errors on the mmc when in safe mode (not normal) will try to reproduce them

only program that has been uninstalled since last time it was booted is backup exec 12
    the server has not got any antivirus yet.

overnight the "collecting" data screen went ok, and system "appeared" to be normal, so i took the chance and installed the 9 updates waiting. apparantly not a good idea.

all 9 updates installed successfully, and server shutdown/rebooted, but on boot screen hangs on " updateing 3 of 3, 0% completed" it's been like that for 1-2 hours so far. server responds to ping though, and you can access files on it.

I will leave it for an hour more before I shutdown the server the hard way.

I have enterd the c$ via network, the cache folder is empty

i cannot run msinfo32 now though, as I can't enter the console since its beeing held by the updates, and RDP is not working.

the server has recently been put into production only a few weeks ago, all other clients etc run antivirus, and none outside are allowed with laptops, so threat of virus is low, I will run a scan though, once I figure out howto get onto console

appreciate the help.

Friday, August 15, 2008 10:35 AM
  • Hi, waited another hour and it came to logon prompt after the updates.

so I tried rebooting again, the problem seems to be timeout based. 2 hours after rebooting, RDP wil start working, almost everything on the system will start working. I try to bringup exchange manually but no luck though.

running msinfo32 after it boots, it will hang, until the system manager, and everything else works, it gathers 80% aprox of the data, and waits on "adapter" then, don't know if that means anything

I have uploaded the .zip

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:30 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and sending me the file.

However, no error is showed in the System Information.

Now I would like to provide the following suggestions:

1.    Disconnect your network connection to test the issue.

2.    If anything had been installed before the issue began to occur, please uninstall it to test the result.

3.    Update your anti-virus program to the latest version and perform a complete virus scan.

If the issue persists, please understand that to troubleshoot the system hanging issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Monday, August 18, 2008 8:49 AM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 8:48 AM
  • I tried all the suggested solutions, also re-installed backup exec 12, which was only thing I had uninstalled, except for microsoft software, that's the only external software on it, also ran a full scan, nothing came up.

I will contact microsoft here in norway.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 10:33 AM
  • I realize this was posted a while ago but did you ever get a resolution?  I am having the exact same issue.  One of the proposed solutions was to Uninstall any software but as the OP stated, we are unable to Uninstall/Install anything.

Thanks

Monday, November 23, 2009 2:27 AM
  • We have the same issue on 2 2008 R1 Servers in a cluster.  On a MS Premier call now trying to correct this issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Andrew Feigin
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:19 PM
  • OK!  I am having the exact same issue and may be able to provide a little more insight.

My server was working great with no issues.  Then the power went off and I had to reset the breaker.

After the server rebooted, the server could not collect data in Server Manager.  It also couldn't find Network the computer name and workgroup when you go to properties on My Computer.

I rebooted into safe mode.  No issues.  The problem was resolved in Safe mode, it was able to locate the computer name and workgroup.  Server manager doesn't run in safe mode, so I couldn't test that out.

This is not a virus issue.  The abrupt power outage could have ruined my adapter card or maybe RAM damage.  This very well could be a hardware issue, or it could still be a software issue where files were be written too and were corrupted and not reset during the reboot process.

I will post further details as I dive deeper.

Monday, August 9, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Can't login with different user.  My previous printer that was installed is no longer installed.  I disabled my network adapter, and the issue persists.  RAM checks out, no issues. 

I loaded up component services, went to computers, and it hangs at that spot.  Wont show My computer.

There was a suggestion that it could be that the server-wide COM sercurity settings have been changed to have a "Default Authentication level" of "none"  But since component services hangs cannot check.

These issues resolve itself in safe mode with networking enabled.  But reverts back to issues when server is loaded into normal mode.

Created another user with Administrative priviledges.  When I go to logon with the new user, it hangs on Applying User Settings.

This very well could be a user profile corruption maybe where the operating system fails to load the profile settings correctly or is corrupted.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:43 AM
  • I was able to load My Computer Properties from the Component Services window running in Safe mode.

Under default properties the "Enable distributed COM on this computer" was disabled, I clicked it and went to change the Default authentication level, but there are no drop down menu items. 

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:56 AM
  • COM+ Event System which is not booted under safe mode will not stop when I try to while under Normal Mode.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:11 AM
  • <form id="aspnetForm" action="edit" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">

Proposed Answer

After limiting the services and rebooting a couple of times, I noticed that I was unable to really identify one particular service which was causing the issue.  After enabling all the services, the server started and it appeared as though server manager was unable to run initially but given a couple of moments, it was working.  Thus, it is my conclusion that either the memory manager in windows server 2008 got messed up, virtual memory is not working properly, or my RAM suffered a blow which the memory test was unable to identify.  The server is fully operational at this time and yes it does have plenty of RAM to work with.  The only slight issue is that the server is sluggish when windows desktop is starting up trying to get through the services, which didn't happen before, especially for a quad core intel cpu 64 bit.

</form>
    • Proposed as answer by John-Evan Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:34 AM
  • I realize this is an old thread, but I was encountering the same problem this morning.

I checked the services, and noticed that the MS Exchange service was in a "stopping" state, while several other Exchange related services were in a "starting" state.  

This seemed quite odd, so I went back into Safe Mode and changed all of the MS Exchange related services that had a startup type of Automatic, to Disabled.

I rebooted into regular mode, and the server roles page loaded, and once again entered a "Collecting data" mode, but after a minute or so, another window opened indicating that "Resuming Configuration".

The component being reconfigured in my case, was terminal services (to be clear I'm not certain WHAT it had to reconfigure because nothing had changed), but after the reconfiguration completed, it asked for another reboot.

Rebooted and the system is back, and the server manager is no longer stuck in a "Collecting data" mode.

So.. my suggestion to anyone else who encounters this... check your services, see if any of them that are set to start Automatically are stuck in a starting, or stopping status.   If so, jot their names down... go into Safe Mode and disable their startup... then reboot.    That got me past the hang, and if all else fails, might be worth trying. 

Good Luck

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:16 PM
  • I am also getting same error for couple of servers. Please suggest a clear process
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:36 AM
  • As it turns out, we ran into this earlier this morning while moving our Exchange / AD server into a new rack, and found the culprit with the way Server Manager and a network IP issue / disabled network card.

Server 2008 R2 Server Manager is directly tied to the network card for some reason and will hang if the network services are messed up.

At first we thought it was something to do with our RAID config as that was what server manager kept hanging on, but as it turns out, that was just the last thing opened in it, and Server Manager opens to the last view.  I had to plug the network cable back in, re-enable the network card, let it grab DHCP from another server, and boom - Server Manger is no longer hung almost instantaneously.

To sum it all up, Server Manager can and will hang if you have a messed up Network card setting, or it's IP is blocked from returning data to itself via an overzealous firewall.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:54 PM
  • your help its here from TBTProjects (siyaphambili)

I hade the same problem

please click on your network icon from taskbar if you can access your network sharing center then you must know the problem its in your network adaptor

so do the following as it also helped me

click - start - administrative Tools - click computer management.

computer managements open on the left panel look for devices and click on devices.

look at the right panel - click on network adapter - right click your network adapter - click uninstall then reboot your Server 2008 r2 after reboot wait for your server to finish installing the drivers for your network adapter then put all your IP address set it up the way it was hey

if the server didn't install the drives get the disk for your drives

best solution from TBTProjects it worked +2778 568 9590

Friday, November 28, 2014 4:33 AM
  • We had the same issue on our exchange server.
    It is a VMWare exchange server running windows 2008, and exchange 2007 SP1.
    This took our server down for 2 days.  Ended up being a Code bug, and a reg hack to fix.

look up Microsoft kb2004121
    Resolution:
    "Let me fix it myself"
    you can modify the behavior of HTTP.SYS to depend on another service being started first.  To do this, perform the following steps:
    Open Registry Editor
    Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP and create the following Multi-string value:DependOnService
    Double click the new DependOnService entry
    Type CRYPTSVC in the Value Data field and click OK.
    Reboot the server

NOTE: Please ensure that you make a backup of the registry / affected keys before making any changes to your system.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 4:12 PM