CM 2012 on 2008R2 migration to CM 2012R2 on 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a simple SCCM 2012 single primary site installed on a Server 2008R2 machine. I'd like to install the latest SCCM 2012R2 on a Server 2012R2 machine, keeping my existing config and client connectivity.

How should I go about this?  I was thinking I'd install the new machine using the 'install Configuration Manager central administration site' - then I could bring in the old site to the new one, and eventually remove the old server?

Friday, May 2, 2014 4:54 PM

Answers

• I would definitely not install a CAS just for migrating over data to a new site. Instead you should look at doing the following:

- Install a new Primary Site server on Windows Server 2012 R2
    - Migrate the objects that you want to keep over to the new site
    - From the old site, deploy a package that re-assigns (basically reinstalles) the clients to your new site
    - Decommission the old site server

This is a top level description of the steps that needs to be taken. It'd also be a good thing to look into overlapping boundaries. E.g. don't let your new site server publish information to Active Directory unless all clients are migrated.

Regards,

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @Nickolaja

• Proposed as answer by Narcoticoo Monday, May 5, 2014 4:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:32 AM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:00 PM

All replies

• I would definitely not install a CAS just for migrating over data to a new site. Instead you should look at doing the following:

- Install a new Primary Site server on Windows Server 2012 R2
    - Migrate the objects that you want to keep over to the new site
    - From the old site, deploy a package that re-assigns (basically reinstalles) the clients to your new site
    - Decommission the old site server

This is a top level description of the steps that needs to be taken. It'd also be a good thing to look into overlapping boundaries. E.g. don't let your new site server publish information to Active Directory unless all clients are migrated.

Regards,

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @Nickolaja

• Proposed as answer by Narcoticoo Monday, May 5, 2014 4:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:32 AM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:00 PM
  • Thanks, I'm going to give this method a whirl.

Friday, May 2, 2014 9:04 PM
  • You could always backup the existing site and then run a recovery on the new 2012 R2 server

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

Friday, May 2, 2014 9:47 PM