Windows Embedded Standard 7 (POSREADY 7) and WSUS? RRS feed

• Question

• Do any of you have experience with WSUS and POSREADY 7?

I am struggling getting some patches to install from our WSUS.  Specifically, KB3000988 and / or KB3008627.  

My question is - in my WSUS server, these updates show as Update for Windows 7.  I don't see one that applies as an Update for Windows Embedded Standard 7.

My thought would be that Windows Embedded Standard 7 is just a flavor of windows 7 - so my hopes would be this update should apply - but I can't get it to do so.

Have any of you seen this?

Thanks

sb

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:24 PM

Answers

• Rather than going through Windows Update, can you download the two patches and run the directly on the unit?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by stephenmbell Friday, January 23, 2015 4:37 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:36 PM

All replies

• WES7 is a special version of Windows 7. Basically WES7 is Windows 7 broken into different selectable packages.

Do other updates get applied? If you connect the machine to the internet directly does it download the update via Windows Update or can you just install the update directly?

Both of these updates center around update 2918614. Was update 2918614 downloaded to the systems?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, January 22, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Yes - KB2918614 broke something that I need to push out and install an MSI remotely using Powershell, and KB3008627 fixes it.  

This is a newly deployed image - installed during the month of December across 675 clients.  The updates on the image were installed via the internet -  going straight to Microsoft, and yes, 2918614 was one of them.  I am now trying to push, ideally, 3008627 out using WSUS and it is not going well.  

I have a lab unit next to my desk - freshly imaged to match the field.  I went through and uninstalled KB2918614 - and re-pushed it to this system using WSUS.  It installed without an issue.  But it still wouldn't see the others.

I then put the Lab unit on a subnet that had internet access and tried to hit Microsoft to see if the patch would install.  It did not show in the list of available updates?!?!  Now I am really confused..

-sb

Thursday, January 22, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Rather than going through Windows Update, can you download the two patches and run the directly on the unit?

• Marked as answer by stephenmbell Friday, January 23, 2015 4:37 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:36 PM
  • Yeah - I didn't want to have to go that route, but it looks like I will.  I just setup a startup script and ran through.  It installed fine and fixed my original issue.  Still strange as to why it wouldn't install?!?!

Thanks for the responses.

Friday, January 23, 2015 4:37 PM