Vista SP2 RC issues RRS feed

• Question

• No problems with the install process, but right off the bat, the Live Messenger won't even start at all, and my Trend Internet Security 16.6 is broken. 

The "Trend Micro Unauthorized Change Prevention Service" is unable to start, which prevents the Trend Firewall service from starting.  I followed a Trend technot for re-installed the tmcomm.inf file and rebooted with no success.

Live Messenger won't start, auto or manually, let alone log in.

Quick scan through my other programs and they seem to be working...
    Friday, March 6, 2009 1:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for reporting Trend Internet Security issue. Our engineers had a look at this and it will be taken care in the subsequent releases of SP2.

For live messenger issue, can you please tell the version of Live Messenger on your machine? Please check the version of the following file to get this:

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe.

Please tell me if you need some clarification.

Thanks
    Arun
    We build Service Pack 2
    • Proposed as answer by Arun Tangri [MSFT] Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Korbyn Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:43 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 8:14 AM

All replies

• Korbyn said:

No problems with the install process, but right off the bat, the Live Messenger won't even start at all, and my Trend Internet Security 16.6 is broken. 

The "Trend Micro Unauthorized Change Prevention Service" is unable to start, which prevents the Trend Firewall service from starting.  I followed a Trend technot for re-installed the tmcomm.inf file and rebooted with no success.

Live Messenger won't start, auto or manually, let alone log in.

Quick scan through my other programs and they seem to be working...

I had the same problem with Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 (program version 16.10) when used with the previous beta of SP2. I have recently upgraded to TIS 2009 (program version 17.0), and find that this works with the SP2 RC.

Friday, March 6, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reporting Trend Internet Security issue. Our engineers had a look at this and it will be taken care in the subsequent releases of SP2.

For live messenger issue, can you please tell the version of Live Messenger on your machine? Please check the version of the following file to get this:

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe.

Please tell me if you need some clarification.

Thanks
    Arun
    We build Service Pack 2
    • Proposed as answer by Arun Tangri [MSFT] Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Korbyn Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:43 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 8:14 AM
  • I'm sorry I don't know what version I was on, but after I down graded, I had to reinstall MSN to get it fixed again.  Once I reinistalled the SP2 RC, on got my trend working, MSN was still broken, but I re-ran the install and there was a new package which worked.  I guess someone already resolved it, but hopefully they'll be releasing an MSN Messenger that will work before and after the SP2 installation.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I'm having the same Windows Live Messenger after updating to SP2 on Vista64 Ultimate.

Here's my msnmsgr.exe file/product version# 14.0.8064.206

If you can't fix this soon I'm gonna try and reinstall live messenger.

Choose Freely. www.thewonders.com
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:49 AM
  • I'm having the same Windows Live Messenger after updating to SP2 on Vista64 Ultimate.

Here's my msnmsgr.exe file/product version# 14.0.8064.206

If you can't fix this soon I'm gonna try and reinstall live messenger.

I installed SP2 two days ago, and I have the same problem.

Messenger didn' run after SP2 was installed. I uninstalled the complete Live package,  restarted the PC  and tried to reinstall , but got the message:

"Couldn't install programs. Please try to install Windows live programs later
    later".

Error: OnCatalogResult: 0x80072ee6
    Next steps: An unknown error has occurred"

I then ran 'sfc'   and chkdsk to make sure there where no errrors drive problems.  But the problem still exist  and I can not reinstall messenger.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:29 AM