Feature request: Storage Spaces Tiering with parity layout = Game changer with write back cache! RRS feed

• General discussion

• While it is beyond me why the heck Windows Server 2012R2 doesn't support Storage Spaces Tiering with parity, I definitely would like to see it in the next Server OS. With the introduction of write back cache on SSD, the short comings of parity layouts can be mitigated tremendously when talking about SMB storage needs.

Of course, performance storage deployments still wouldn't choose parity layouts for primary production cases, where storage is under constant and high pressure, not leaving time for the write back cache to write it's stuff at some point to the HDD.

I still think there is a great potential to further include more scenarios for great storage spaces use cases, especially when budget is extremely tight.

What are others thinking about this? Am I missing something, why this shouldn't work?

Cheers Juri

Monday, April 13, 2015 6:33 AM

All replies

• Logging should be implemented (shared component with Storage Replica?) to have things similar to ZIL being part of ZFS. Write cache alone adsorbing some small amount of writes would help for a comparably short time.  

Cheers,

Anton Kolomyeytsev [MVP]

StarWind Software Chief Architect

Profile:   Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:34 AM