VGA is missed on Windows XP professional SP1 on a Desktop Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Windows xp professional SP1(2002) on my desktop computer whose spics are: Pantium III, RAM 256MB.

However, the VGA is still unknown devices under the other devices.

I have took apart my PC, and looked up in the VGA.  However, I didn't find the product name of VGA, such as ATI, AMD, .. etc). All what I found was this:
    First: AXLE (WWW.Axle3d.com) on a fan on the VGA card
    Second: There is 'ASL' written on the VGA card port.

Third: I don't know anything at all from what this sticker(not from the Factory) containing below:
    (AX-52/128D1A4CTL)
    854-13C GF5200/128M
    M183-250 064B T/0 AA

As this screen shot below shows:(it isn't clearly shown)

I opened the link below, however, I only found 'Navidia' and  'AMD Radeon' .

So, 'How to get the drivers of the AXLE Video Graphics Adapter from
    WWW.Axle3d.com

I really didn't see any ID hardware in the device manager
    As this screen shot below shows.

• Edited by cooperator Friday, January 2, 2015 12:19 AM
    • Moved by ZigZag3143x Friday, January 2, 2015 12:39 AM Wrong Section for OS
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 11:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may try Belarc Advisor  to get information on your graphic card details.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Friday, January 2, 2015 12:03 AM
  • You may try Belarc Advisor  to get information on your graphic card details.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Thanks a lot,

Why will I need to use Belarc adviser as long as I took the VGA card out, and looked up in its information.

NOTE: MY OS is Windows xp professional SP1, however, I forgot posting in Windows 7. Thus, I am wondering if this Belarc Advisor will be installed on Windows XP or not.

Also, what version of Windows XP do I have? I really didn't see that in the properties of my computer?

A man should convert his anger and sadness into strength to continue living in this life.

Friday, January 2, 2015 12:09 AM
  • You have Windows XP Professional installed with Service Pack 1.  You need to install Service Pack 3.  Your video adapter appears to be based on the NVIDIA chip.  You can download the driver form here.

Carey Frisch

Friday, January 2, 2015 6:37 PM
  • You have Windows XP Professional installed with Service Pack 1.  You need to install Service Pack 3.  Your video adapter appears to be based on the NVIDIA chip.  You can download the driver form here.

Carey Frisch

Thanks a lot,

First of all: Why will I need to install Win XP SP3? I don't want to do that.

First: Your link about downloading drivers from Nvidia was down. 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' I don't know why I am no longer opening the website 'WWW.Axle3d.com',although I was opening it well. Is it due to IE 9 I am using on Windows 7 SP1(64Bit)? I don't have other browsers so far. Moreover, Windows 7 is out of date,  I don't want to update the Windows updates to get the later IE since I am only doing a test on this Windows 7 installation since I had problems with my other Windows 7 installation which is up to date.

Operating
    System
    System
    Model
    Windows XP Professional
    Service Pack 1 (build 2600)
    Install Language: English (United
    States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 7/28/2013
    4:04:47 AM
    Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not
    supported)
    Enclosure Type:
    Desktop
    Processor
    <sup>a</sup>
    Main Circuit Board
    <sup>b</sup>
    1000 megahertz Intel Pentium
    III
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory
    cache
    Not hyper-threaded
    Board: Gigabyte Technology
    Co., Ltd. 6VTXE 1.x
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends
    Inc. 6.27.10 12/26/2001
    Drives Memory Modules
    <sup>c,d</sup>
    80.03 Gigabytes
    Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    61.38 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free
    Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 [Optical drive]
    3.5" format removeable
    media [Floppy drive]

USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive USB Device [Hard drive]
    (2.02 GB) -- drive 1
    WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0,
    s/n WD-WCAM9F181202, rev 05.01C05, SMART Status: Healthy
    256 Megabytes Usable
    Installed Memory

Slot '0' is Empty
    Slot '1' is Empty
    Slot '2' has
    256 MB
    Local Drive
    Volumes
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 26.68 GB 13.15 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 26.68 GB 25.36 GB free
    e: (NTFS on drive 0) 26.68 GB 22.87 GB free

<center>
    * Operating System is installed on
    c:
    </center>
    Network
    Drives
    None
    discovered
    Users
    <small>(mouse over user name for details)</small>
    Printers
    local user
    accounts
    last logon
    Mohammad
    Lardhi
    1/2/2015 11:56:20 AM (admin)
    local system
    accounts
    Administrator never (admin)
    Guest never
    HelpAssistant never
    SUPPORT_388945a0 never

<center>DISABLEDMarks
    a disabled account;   LOCKED OUTMarks
    a locked account
    </center>
    Controllers Display
    Standard floppy disk
    controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel
    [Controller]
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    None
    discovered
    Bus
    Adapters
    Multimedia
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB
    Universal Host Controller
    Creative AudioPCI
    (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
    Game Port for Creative
    Virus
    Protection
    <small>[Back to Top]</small>
    Group
    Policies
    No details
    available
    None
    discovered
    Communications Other
    Devices
    Creative Modem Blaster V.90
    PCI DI5655
    Network Card MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
    USB Human Interface
    Device
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2
    Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root
    Hub
    USB Storage Use in past 30 Days<small>(mouse
    over last used for details)</small>
    Hosted Virtual Machines<small> (mouse over
    name for details)</small>
    Last
    Used
    USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive -- drive
    1, s/n 59309e92e21612, rev 0.00
    1/2/2015
    11:57:18 AM

Second: I had a problem with installing WinXP professional SP3(SATA) on my PC, however, I faced an bule-screen error while the setup copying installing files. I still didn't know why, although the optical CD of Windows XP installation SP3 was new and clean. Also, there was no anything which could be edited on the BIOS of my Computer. I still didn't know where could I be quite sure that the problem precluding installing Winx SP3 on my PC was realted to since my desktop didn't support 'SATA' feature . Yes, my hard disk drive was only isntalled on IDE, however, there was not SATA port at all on my computer's motherborad.

Third:: I have scanned my computer with Belarc Advisor to get information on my graphic card details. However, there were not discovered. I was expecting so since I, myself, didn't see that Graphic card was known device, althoguh I am human. Then, Belace would be one hundered percent sure that it wouldn't detect that VGA.

Finally: My windows installed is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600), could you please let me know which version it does have, 32Bit, 64Bit?

A man should convert his anger and sadness into strength to continue living in this life.

• Edited by cooperator Friday, January 2, 2015 11:51 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2015 11:40 PM
  • Could anyone please reply to me to finish this pending problem?

Saturday, January 3, 2015 11:09 PM
  • My Responses in BOLD

First of all: Why will I need to install Win XP SP3? I don't want to do that.

XP SP3 is recommended as the latest drivers available will most likely be wrote for XP SP3, You can try the same driver on SP1 but the stability of the driver is unknown. In fact I think you will do well to find the latest XP driver as it stands and super lucky to find a first version.

First: Your link about downloading drivers from Nvidia was down. 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' I don't know why I am no longer opening the website 'WWW.Axle3d.com',although I was opening it well. Is it due to IE 9 I am using on Windows 7 SP1(64Bit)? I don't have other browsers so far. Moreover, Windows 7 is out of date,  I don't want to update the Windows updates to get the later IE since I am only doing a test on this Windows 7 installation since I had problems with my other Windows 7 installation which is up to date.

The Link in question seems to take you to a NVIDIA or Radeon AMD link, both of which should have card/adapter detection utilities (if you search for them). This would be your best bet to identify the card properly.

Second: I had a problem with installing WinXP professional SP3(SATA) on my PC, however, I faced an bule-screen error while the setup copying installing files. I still didn't know why, although the optical CD of Windows XP installation
     SP3 was new and clean. Also, there was no anything which could be edited on the BIOS of my Computer. I still didn't know where could I be quite sure that the problem precluding installing Winx SP3 on my PC was realted to since my desktop didn't support
     'SATA' feature . Yes, my hard disk drive was only isntalled on IDE, however, there was not SATA port at all on my computer's motherborad.

The usual suspect here is BIOS HD mode is set to AHCI and not Compatibility, but as you said no such options exist and I suspect they would not in the BIOS considering its age. This is often reflected as a 0x7B issue when Windows uses Int-13H on boot via installation method.

Most likely cause is often memory related.

Without the actual Blue Screen information (Stop Code) I cannot comment in any further detail

Third:: I have scanned my computer with Belarc Advisor to get information on my graphic card details. However, there were not discovered. I was expecting so since I, myself, didn't see that Graphic card was known device, althoguh I am human. Then, Belace would be one hundered percent sure that it wouldn't detect that VGA.

Correct, Belarc does not appear to scan any further than the Windows DIDB (DriverInfo Database) and not the HW/PNP-ID level (Hardware/PlugNPlay) I am open to correction on this as i dont use the tool and just tried it on a dummy VM for the first time about 15 mins ago

Finally: My windows installed is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600), could you please let me know which version it does have, 32Bit, 64Bit?

Given the CPU in the report - 1000 megahertz Intel Pentium III, I would be confident the installation is x86 (32Bit)

See This Link for further verification - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

Kind Regards,

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:07 PM
  • 854-13C GF5200/128M

Appears to indicate a GPU based on NVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB.

Try this driver :

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/5753/en-us
    Sunday, January 11, 2015 2:04 AM
  • Thanks a lot,

Yes, I downloaded, and I installed  driver.

Could you have seen my screen shots posted here or not, or otherwise you wouldn't understand me at all whatever I wrote?
    Could you please continue repying me to address, and solve this problem pending forever? Could you please answer each point of mine below to finish this problem?

First:: Yes, Knowning 'hardware id' is the key of defining unknown devices.  IN WINDOWS 7, Widows XP SP2, SP3, I really found the ability of seeing the hardware id of  the device chosen in the device manager. However, IN WINDOWS XP SP 1,  I really didn't see any hardware id, however. I have opened the device manager, then clicked on VGA adapter, after that, properties, however, No Hardware ID for VGA on The Device Manager. If there a hardware ID for VGA should have listed there

Second:: On Windows XP SP1, I couldn't see any ability for finding Hardware IDs since there are no options in the device chosen  in the device manager. Thus, with only a Hardware Reading program(Driver Checker, or others), I knew hardware ID for all devices listed with  ! marks next to them. That program gave me the hardware ID of VGA, even although I have not yet installed the driver (175.19_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql)

t

Third: Once the 175.19_geforce_winxp_32bit got installed, then the standard VGA was defined in the device manager. And I  see the video adapter listed without any ! marks next to it.

Fourth: NOTE the Hardware ID is still the same before installing Geforce dirver, and after installing?

Fifth: Once I installed Nivida driver, the display got much worse than before installing it. (I.e. the  Video Graphics Array(VGA) which is a popular  display standard was functing better than Niviad adapter). Also, I got these errors below:::

Invalid Dispaly settings:
    The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written for a pervious version of windows, and it no longer compatible with this version of windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver

Before isntalling Nvidia Driver for GeForce, and continuing the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter ), the display was much better than after installing Nvidia.

• Edited by cooperator Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:32 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:19 PM
  • Have you installed any motherboard chipset drivers?

Have you tried lowering the AGP aperture size in the BIOS to a very low value?

Also try older drivers from this list

169.21 - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/3261/en-us

163.75 - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/1982/en-us

93.71 - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/5/en-us

• Edited by mystifeid Monday, January 12, 2015 7:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by cooperator Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:10 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 6:49 AM
  • Thanks a lot,

@Have you installed any motherboard chipset drivers?@

I didn't install any motherboard chipest drivers since I didn't see that motherboard chipest had an exclamation mark in front of it in the device manager, although I was suggested to  downlaod the newest via chipset for my mb.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
    http://download.viatech.com/DriverDownloadSubmitAjaxSvl
    downlaod the newest via chipset for your mb.

@Have you tried lowering the AGP aperture size in the BIOS to a very low value?@

I don't know that in which section I will find that AGP aperture size in the BIOS. I think that there is no settings of AGP in the BIOS since I didn't see any think can be adjected in the BIOS except the boot device menu.

@@Also try older drivers from this list

@

I don't think that I will need to install older drivers, however, I need later drivers than I have tried installing  as long as Invalid Dispaly settings:
    The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written for a pervious version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver

If I need to install older drivers than I have installed,  then after installing the driver Ihave installed,  notification would be 'Invalid Dispaly settings:
    The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written for a later version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows.' Since the driver currently installed  was for prvious version of Windows, which means it is older drive.

Monday, January 12, 2015 1:10 PM
  • Normally, motherboard chipset drivers are installed first, before other drivers. Even when there are no exclamation marks in Device Manager.

This could be why the graphics driver has not installed properly.

For a Via based motherboard you will likely have to find an appropriate (and old) 4-in-1 driver.

It would be an advantage to know the manufacturer and model of your motherboard.
    • Edited by mystifeid Monday, January 12, 2015 4:58 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 4:31 PM
  • Oh wait, your motherboard is listed in Belarc's report above.

So try uninstalling the nvidia graphics driver and reboot.

Then install this Via 4-in-1 driver

http://download1.gigabyte.asia/Files/Driver/motherboard_driver_chipset_via_4in1433v.exe

Reboot then try reinstalling the graphics driver.
    • Edited by mystifeid Monday, January 12, 2015 4:58 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Thanks a lot,

Could you please confirm for me if you could have seen my screen shots posted previously?

It is easy to know that the manufacturer and model of  my motherboard. I can do by running a hardward reading program.

But, the problem is

I have Gigabyte motherborad. GA-6VTXE-A (rev. 1.x) IF you had looked at Belace report or even if you had opened the link http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1390#sp, you would have known that my GA-6VTXE-A (rev. 1.x).

You need me to install the same driver of nvidia graphics driver

I know that a video card is an internal circuit board that allows a display device such as a monitor to display images from the computer.

However, I have desktop computer to whose video card a  monitor is connected. Thus, before installing any drivers of video card, an exmanation mark in front of the Video Graphics Array(VGA) which is a popular  display standard. This Video Graphics Array(VGA) which is a popular  display standard was functioning well without installing the drivers of the nvidia graphics card.
    Thus, my questions are:

First: Why Will I need to install drivers of a video card as long as a  Video Graphics Array(VGA) which is a popular  display standard is functing well?

Standard VGA on  desktop computer

NVIDIA Video adapter on my Desktop computer:

Second: On my desktop computer, I have a ViewSonic  monitor connected to the  video card  . However, I only need to install the drivers of video card, and I don't  need to install the drivers of the monitor, although I have a CD disc which came with the ViewSonic monitor.

Fnally: Why will Monitor category not be shown in the device manager until the drivers of a Standard Video Graphics Array(VGA) get properly installed?

• Edited by cooperator Monday, January 12, 2015 5:13 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Yes, I did see your screenshots and I did notice that after installing the graphics driver your color depth dropped to 4-bit color.

Again this could be because you have not first installed your motherboard chipset drivers.

And yes, I did see your motherboard model in Belarc's report and I used this information to find a download link for your chipset drivers.

As a test:

- right click a blank area of your desktop and in the pop-up menu click "Properties"
     - in the "Display Properties" window which appears, click the "Settings" tab
     - report the value shown in the "Color Quality" box.

If it does not say it is using 32-bit color then that is the point of installing the graphics driver

If however, it does or you are happy with the way things are, then that's fine.

Otherwise, my last advice is to iterate that you should

- uninstall the nvidia driver and reboot.
     - install the via 4-in-1 driver linked to above and reboot
     - install the nvidia driver once more and reboot.
    Monday, January 12, 2015 5:46 PM
  • Yes, I did see your screenshots and I did notice that after installing the graphics driver your color depth dropped to 4-bit color.

Again this could be because you have not first installed your motherboard chipset drivers.

And yes, I did see your motherboard model in Belarc's report and I used this information to find a download link for your chipset drivers.

As a test:

- right click a blank area of your desktop and in the pop-up menu click "Properties"
     - in the "Display Properties" window which appears, click the "Settings" tab
     - report the value shown in the "Color Quality" box.

If it does not say it is using 32-bit color then that is the point of installing the graphics driver

If however, it does or you are happy with the way things are, then that's fine.

Otherwise, my last advice is to iterate that you should

- uninstall the nvidia driver and reboot.
     - install the via 4-in-1 driver linked to above and reboot
     - install the nvidia driver once more and reboot.

Thanks a lot,

First of all:

I really remembered that display resolution was set to 600 by 800 pixels when nividia drivers was installed. Thus, do you think that no need to install via 4-in-1 driver, however,  changing the resolution into a lager scale(1400 by 700 pixels), and then reinstalling the nividia will let nividia graphics adpater be functioning well.

Finally: Could you please reply to my points below::

I know that a video card/graphics card is an internal circuit board that allows a display device such as a monitor to display images from the computer.

However, I have desktop computer to whose video card is connected a  monitor. Thus, before installing any nividia driver, there is a Video Graphics Array(VGA) with an exmanation mark in front of it. That Video Graphics Array(VGA) which is a popular  display standard was functioning well without installing the drivers of the nvidia graphics card.
    Thus, my questions are:

First: Why Will I need to install invidia drivers of a video card as long as a  Video Graphics Array(VGA) which is a popular  display standard is functing well?

Standard VGA on  desktop computer

NVIDIA Video adapter on my Desktop computer:

Second: On my desktop computer, I have a ViewSonic  monitor connected to the  video card  . However, I only need to install the drivers of video card, and I don't  need to install the drivers of the monitor, although I have a CD disc which came with the ViewSonic monitor.

Fnally: Why will a Monitor category not be shown in the device manager until the drivers of a Standard Video Graphics Array(VGA) get properly installed?

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 1:24 AM
  • Use this driver:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/5130/en-uk

Thank you both of you very much indeed,

Unfortunately, I have downloaded, and installed the driver on this link below:

Thus, it is http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

Which is:

GeForce Release 175

Version: 175.19 <sup>WHQL</sup>
    Release Date: 2008.07.09
    Operating System: Windows XP
    Language: English (U.S.)
    File Size: 36.8                         MB

However, once installed,  I faced that 'my computre's screen resolultion, and colour depth are set to  a very low level(4 bit).' Even I couldn't increase them at all. Thus, when I uninstalled it, and stayed on the default VGA driver,  I could increase 'resolution from 800X600 to 1024x768 Pixels. Also, the 'colour' to 32Bit or 16Bit. However, this is still default VGA.

I have done these steps again.

Firstly: I have uninstalled the Nvidia Graphics driver, and then reboot.
    Secondly: I have then installed motherboard_driver_chipset_via_4in1433v(Although after installing mothreboard chipest, I never noticed that nothing new in the device manager(I.e. no new entries, or so on added)

Thirdly: I have then reinstalled the Nvidia display driver, then rebooted my computer. Once my computer started again, I faced a popup message telling me 'my computre's screen resolultion, and colour depth are set to  a very low level(4 bit).' Even I couldn't increase them at all since they are not avilable

Although that the Nvidia Dispaly driver was  defined properly(since there is no exclamation mark in front of it) on the device manager(screen shot below).

The Driver version of the Nvidia Display:

While Nvidia was installed, I run a hardware-reading program:

Graphics
    		Monitor 1
    			Name	Default Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    			Current Resolution	800x600 pixels
    			Work Resolution	800x570 pixels
    			State	Disabled
    			Multiple displays	Disabled
    			Monitor Width	800
    			Monitor Height	600
    			Monitor BPP	4 bits per pixel
    			Monitor Frequency	1 Hz
    			Device	\\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
    		Monitor 2
    			State	Disabled
    			Monitor Width	800
    			Monitor Height	600
    			Monitor Frequency	1 Hz
    			Device	\\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor1
    		Monitor 3
    			State	Disabled
    			Monitor Width	800
    			Monitor Height	600
    			Monitor Frequency	1 Hz
    			Device	\\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor2
    		Monitor 4
    			Name	E70-3 on NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    			State	Enabled
    			Multiple displays	Enabled
    			Monitor Width	800
    			Monitor Height	600
    			Monitor Frequency	1 Hz
    			Device	\\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor3
    		NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    			Manufacturer	NVIDIA
    			Model	GeForce FX 5200
    			GPU	NV34
    			Device ID	10DE-0322
    			Revision	A2
    			Subvendor	Undefined (0000)
    			Current Performance Level	Level 0
    			Technology	150 nm
    			Transistors	47 M
    			Release Date	2003
    			DirectX Support	9.0
    			DirectX Shader Model	2.0
    			OpenGL Support	2.0
    			Driver version	6.14.11.7519
    			BIOS Version	4.34.20.69.00
    			ROPs	4
    			Shaders	Vertex 4/Pixel 42
    			Memory Type	DDR
    			Memory	128 MB
    				Count of performance levels : 1
    					Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"

Fourthly: However, when I uninstalled Nvidia driver, and stayed onthe default VGA driver, then I could increase 'resolution from '800X600' to 1024x768 Pixels. Also, the 'colour quality' to 32Bit or 16Bit, although it is intial, standard VGA, I could change the resolution:

Before uninstalling Nvidia driver, I have booted to the BIOS, and in  the Chipest Features Setup, I sometimes have  tried lowering,   other times increasing the AGP aperture size from 64MB to, 4MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, 32MB, 128MB, 256MB. However, that made no difference.

NOTE: while Nvidia display driver was still installed, I have booted Windows XP inSafe mode, then windows ignored the Nvidia Dispaly driver, i.e. it seemed as though Nvidia displayer driver were not installed at all.

I think I will need a newer(later) driver of Nvidia Dispaly since this current Display driver was written fora previous version of Windows, as said in this screen shot below::

175.16  - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/5130/en-uk

@

I don't think that I will need to install older drivers, however, I need later drivers than I have tried installing  as long asInvalid Dispaly settings:
    The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written fora pervious version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver

If I need to install older drivers than I have installed,  then after installing the driver I have installed,  the notification below must have been::

'Invalid Dispaly settings:
    The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written for a later version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows.'Since the driver currently installed  was for prvious version of Windows, which means it is older drive.

• Edited by cooperator Monday, January 19, 2015 2:46 AM
    Monday, January 19, 2015 12:57 AM
  • Although it does not apply to you, you can see from kb891387

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/891387

that the error message

The currently selected graphics display driver cannot be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of windows....

can occur when using drivers that are written for the version of Windows being used.

Also, after searching this error message and reading of instances on many different forums, it appears that this error message is commonly generated when people have updated their drivers to newer versions.

Hence the suggestion to try older versions of the nVidia driver.

Also, 175.19 is the newest driver offered by nVidia to support your GPU.

• Edited by mystifeid Monday, January 19, 2015 5:42 AM
    Monday, January 19, 2015 5:38 AM
  • Although it does not apply to you, you can see from kb891387

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/891387

that the error message

The currently selected graphics display driver cannot be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of windows....

can occur when using drivers that are written for the version of Windows being used.

Also, after searching this error message and reading of instances on many different forums, it appears that this error message is commonly generated when people have updated their drivers to newer versions.

Hence the suggestion to try older versions of the nVidia driver.

Also, 175.19 is the newest driver offered by nVidia to support your GPU.

Could you please understand me? Could you have seen my screen shots to understand me well?

I really don't understand what you mean with this: 'can occur when using drivers that are written for the version of Windows being used.' if you mean with error 'Invalid Dispaly settings:
    The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written fora  pervious version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver'

- I would be saying this above error message only occurs when I am usinng Nvidia Display Driver instead of default VGA driver. However, with using default VGA driver no problem, but this is not properly driver.

- Also, I don't have any drivers that are written for the version of Windows being used, or otherwise I wouldn't ask my question here. I am using default VGA.

- Besides, @when people have updated their drivers to newer versions.@, I would be saying that I have not yet found my properly Nvidia dispaly driver in order to update? I am using a default VGA driver

- I have also tried another Nvidia diplay driver(175.16) which is earlier(oder) than the 175.19. However, I have ended up with the same thing.

- Although said that this is 175.19 the latest version of Nvidia display drivers, If you had read my message saying:: Invalid Dispaly settings:
    The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written for a pervious version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver

you would undestand that would need driver newer(later) than these ones. 

If I need to install older drivers than I have installed,  then after installing the driver I have installed,  the notification below must have been::

'Invalid Dispaly settings:
    The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written fora later version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows.'Since the driver currently installed  was for prvious version of Windows, which means it is older drive.

I am going to also try to download and install this one '93.71', though. But if I ended up with the same issue, then I think that I need later one, not eariler one.

• Edited by cooperator Monday, January 19, 2015 11:55 PM
    Monday, January 19, 2015 11:43 PM
  • Where did you get the cd you are using to install XP ??

Did you download it from the internet ??

I find it curious that you get a stop 0x50 error (a memory error) on three different systems.

You should learn to Google your problems yourself before asking for help. For example, Google the following :

"XP 4-bit color"

"XP stop 0x50 on install"

If you read through the first couple of hundred results for the above, maybe one of them will help you.

For the graphics card though, it may be that either :

- the graphics card is damaged/defective
    - the XP cd is damaged or non-genuine.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:12 AM
  • Where did you get the cd you are using to install XP ??

Did you download it from the internet ??

I find it curious that you get a stop 0x50 error (a memory error) on three different systems.

You should learn to Google your problems yourself before asking for help. For example, Google the following :

"XP 4-bit color"

"XP stop 0x50 on install"

If you read through the first couple of hundred results for the above, maybe one of them will help you.

For the graphics card though, it may be that either :

- the graphics card is damaged/defective
    - the XP cd is damaged or non-genuine.

Thanks a lot, Mystified.

Could you please NOT misunderstand me? There is no relation at all between the the error 'Blue Screen error( Stop Code: 0x0000050(0xB25500c2,0x00000000,0x00000000)', which was posted in another thread of mine. That error I was facing while installing any Windows XP on my P3, 256MB of RAM.(while there is no Windows installations on the hard disc drive). That error was  showing while the Setup wizard was copying the files to used in the installation process. I think there is either a problem in RAM or something else. NOTE, that error was only showing me if I took a long time of choosing a process on while installation.

To only for my curiosity, and before marking this thread as solved, I would like you to kindly answer my questions below.

With respect to the Nvidia Graphics driver, I would be saying that  installing Nvidia Display Driver V: 93.71  defined well my Nvidia Graphics card without receiving the error that my color depth dropped to 4-bit color and the error  (The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written for a  previous version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver'). However, installing versions 175.16, OR 175.19, gave me that error, and colour depth dropped to 4-bit.

Firstly: Why did only 93.71 define the VGA well, however, 175.16, and 175.19 didn't do?

Secondly: Although the 93.71 version installed the VGA well, however, I'm only still having a problem with Nvidia Control Panel Application. My problem is that once app was lunched, and I clicked on '3D Settings' tab(third screen shot below), then my PC was frozen even while the Windows XP took a relatively much of time loading the Nvidia Control Panel Application, it lasted about 5 minutes, and the led of HDD was still lighting until the app lunched.

Thirdly: As long as there is no HDMI port(Connects an external VGA monitor or projector.), nor  External monitor port(Connects an optional video or audio device, such as a high-definition television, or any compatible digital or audio component.) on my P 3 desktop computer, then how to plug/connect a secondary display? Can I install a HDMI, or External Monitor Card on one of the PCI express slots?

Fourthly: As long as there is no secondary display is connected to my PC, then why are there two displays(Prmary display, Secondary display) shown in this screen sthos below:

Fifthly: When I checked out the device manager, I found there are  three monitor icons under 'monitor' category, three  default monitors, and one plug and play.(screen shots below)

However, when I detected the graphics with a hardware detection program, I found that there are  eight default monitors, and one plug and play monitor(Nvidia).

Graphics
      Monitor 1
       Name Default Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
       Current Resolution 1024x768 pixels
       Work Resolution 1024x738 pixels
       State Disabled, Output devices support
       Multiple displays Disabled
       Monitor Width 1024
       Monitor Height 768
       Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
       Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
       Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
      Monitor 2
       Monitor Width 1024
       Monitor Height 768
       Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
       Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor1
      Monitor 3
       Monitor Width 1024
       Monitor Height 768
       Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
       Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor2
      Monitor 4
       Name E70-3 on NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
       State Enabled, Output devices support
       Multiple displays Extended, Primary, Enabled
       Monitor Width 1024
       Monitor Height 768
       Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
       Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor3
      Monitor 5
       Work Resolution 1024x768 pixels
       State Disabled
       Monitor Width 1024
       Monitor Height 768
       Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
       Device \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor0
      Monitor 6
       State Enabled
       Multiple displays Extended, Secondary, Enabled
       Monitor Width 1024
       Monitor Height 768
       Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
       Device \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor1
      Monitor 7
       State Disabled
       Monitor Width 1024
       Monitor Height 768
       Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
       Device \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor2
      Monitor 8
       Name E70-3 on NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
       State Disabled
       Monitor Width 1024
       Monitor Height 768
       Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
       Device \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor3
      NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
       Manufacturer NVIDIA
       Model GeForce FX 5200
       GPU NV34
       Device ID 10DE-0322
       Revision A2
       Subvendor Undefined (0000)
       Current Performance Level Level 0
       Technology 150 nm
       Transistors 47 M
       Release Date 2003
       DirectX Support 9.0
       DirectX Shader Model 2.0
       OpenGL Support 2.0
       Bus Interface AGP
       AGP Aperture 4 MB
       AGP Rate 2x
       GPU Clock 250 MHz
       Memory Clock 366 MHz
       Driver version 6.14.10.9371
       BIOS Version 4.34.20.69.00
       ROPs 4
       Shaders Vertex 4/Pixel 42
       Memory Type DDR
       Memory 128 MB
       Pixel Fillrate 1.0 GPixels/s
       Texture Fillrate 1.0 GTexels/s
        Count of performance levels : 1
         Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"

Sixthly: when installing the  Nvidia Display Driver V:175.16, OR 175.19 , I faced this error

The currently selected graphics driver can not be used. It was written for a  pervious version of windows, and it is no longer compatible with this version of windows. The system has been started using the default VGA driver'

If you have read the message above well, you would have known that I was told that I should have installed newer versions of Nvidia display since  the currently selected graphics driver( Nvidia display driver '175.19', or '175.16') cannot be used, they written for a previous version of Windows, and they are no longer compatible with this version of Windows.

Thus, a Nvidia driver  newer / later than the V: 93.71 should have defined well the Nvidia Display, and not V: 93.71However, V: 93.71 has defined the Nvidia Display well. 

Seventhly: as long as I am still having a problem with  Nvidia Control Panel Application, do you think that installing a Nvidia Display driver a little newer/later than than V: 93.71 will solve the problem?

Finally: Could you please enlighten me how to sreach, find each of these driver versions bleow by myself. I really when I searched with the product name, and product series I found only 175.19. 

• Edited by cooperator Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:41 AM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:25 AM
  • Hey, so it only took 10 days to convince you to try installing the older drivers ... it should have taken 5 minutes.

And I see that you are still not using Google to answer your own questions. Oh well...

To respond to your questions:

1. There can be many, many reasons. Try reading through the threads on forums like

http://forums.guru3d.com/

You will find tens of thousands of other people asking much the same question : Why does this driver work while this other one does not.

2. Windows is having to selectively transfer contents of RAM to the page file (virtual memeory) on the hard drive so that there is enough RAM to open your application. Try installing more RAM. Have you ever heard that installing more RAM will make your computer faster?? Do you understand what the page file is ?? (Please use Google, not me, if you do not.)

3. You can try, but the PC is already struggling with just 256MB RAM. How slow do you want to make it?

4. This is just showing monitor ports that Windows can use. The secondary display is for (I suspect) a TV-out port on the graphics card.

If you are only using a computer monitor you should choose the "Plug-n-Play" monitor - Then click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom, then select the "Monitor" tab and then select the highest refresh rate available. This will reduce perceived flicker on the monitor. You cannot change the refresh rate while using the default monitor driver.

5. This might be because of the method you have used to uninstall the previous drivers. Do not use Device Manager to uninstall graphics drivers (and most other drivers) - use "Add or remove programs" in Control Panel instead. Anyway, it is safe to ignore these extra default monitors in Device Manager and your detection program.

6. Windows error messages are often inaccurate. The number of problems a computer and or operating system can have is a very, very, very large number. Microsoft have only included a large number of error messages. 

When you see an error message you should use it as a guide that something may be wrong and your cue to Google the error message.

7. No, it sounds like you need more RAM.

8. If you look at this web page again

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

you might notice a link that says "Beta and Older Drivers". Clicking on this link will bring you to the Advanced Driver Search Page.

FINALLY: I think I have more than answered the questions you asked when you opened this thread. I think I did this 10 days ago. Your continued questions show both a total inexperience using any Windows OS and an unwillingness to find answers yourself. One is excusable. The other is not.

• Edited by mystifeid Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by cooperator Sunday, January 25, 2015 2:53 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cooperator Sunday, January 25, 2015 10:30 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:01 AM
  • 4. This is just showing monitor ports that Windows can use. The secondary display is for (I suspect) a TV-out port on the graphics card.

If you are only using a computer monitor you should choose the "Plug-n-Play" monitor - Then click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom, then select the "Monitor" tab and then select the highest refresh rate available. This will reduce perceived flicker on the monitor. You cannot change the refresh rate while using the default monitor driver.

Thank you so much indeed. Although I've marked this thread as answered, I've temporarily unmarked it to only and kindly ask you to address these final questions of mine below. Since I am expecting keeping it marked will not let it watched. Also, opening a new thread will be redundant and won't bring the attention for such few questions, and these questions are related to be posted only here.

First: Yes, my Nvidia Graphics card has only two connectors: VGA connector, and S-video connector. However, S-video connector is  strange. Thus, An S-video connector cable would be difficult to be found. Even if found, ALL TV I have come accros  are only provided with VHF/ UHF/RF connector cables.

Second: Can I plugged my monitor to VGA connector, my TV to S-video connector at the same time.  What would be displayed(shown) on the TV if there had been a TV plugged to that  S-video connector. ?(I.e. will what is shown on my plug and play monitor also shown in the TV?

Finally: You knew my display card was powered by Nvidia, and then provided me with the suitable graphics card company, even though you have not gotten the vendor id, nor the device id.

Appears to indicate a GPU based on NVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB.

Try this driver :

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/5753/en-us

I really opened my PC case, and I only found these information below on the Graphics card which was provided in the first post of mine

(AX-52/128D1A4CTL)
    854-13C GF5200/128M
     M183-250 064B T/0 AA

Have you managed to find the driver by googling '854-13C GF5200/128M'. I did, but no good information shown for me which let me know  that Graphics card was for Nvidia.

Could you please let me know how you manged to do that since I really have NOT given you any Hardware ID when you found Nvidia driver. This can be helping find the driver when facing such Graphics cards having no product name, model name, model number printed on their covers when opening the case of a pc.

After you have found the driver, I gave you the Hardware ID with this screen shot below:: If I had given you this hardware id, then you might have found out the same result?

• Edited by cooperator Monday, January 26, 2015 1:03 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 12:23 AM
  • First: I think I've only connected s-video to a (CRT) TV once and the resolution was so bad as to be almost unusable. It might be different with a flatscreen TV though. Anyway, not sure what the question is here.

Second. Yes. You can connect both at the same time. What is shown on both will depend on the Display Mode setting that you have chosen in the nVidia Control Panel: DualView, Span or Clone. Look at your screenshot above. The written explanations and images should help to clarify the differences.

Finally: No Googling was necessary. I have had to identify enough hardware that when I see GF5200/128M it takes about a nanosecond to realize it is a GeForce FX5200.

If you Google "PCI VEN 10DE" the top result is a PCIDatabase.com page for nVidia. If you navigate to that page and search it, you will find a listing for Device ID 0x0322 which is for GeForce FX5200.
    Monday, January 26, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Thanks a lot,

To only finish what we have begun, I would only ask you to kindly address these points:

First:  my Nvidia Graphics card has only two connectors: VGA connector, and S-video connector. I want to know if I can purchase a S-video connector. I cannot find a S-video connector cable in the market in my own country(Yemen).  ALL TV I have come across  are only provided with VHF/ UHF/RF connector cables.

Second: I was told that I cannot specified what can be displayed on monitors or projector if there are more than external displays connected to my laptop via HDMI port(Connects an external VGA monitor or projector.), External monitor port(Connects an optional video or audio device, such as a high-definition television, or any compatible digital or audio component.). (I.e. what is displayed on the built-in monitor will be displayed on a projector or another external VGA monitor if any projector or external monitor was connected to my HP laptop.)
    So I was asking what would be displayed(shown) on the TV if there had been a TV plugged to that  S-video connector and monitor  plugged  to VGA connector at the same time. . ?(I.e. will what is shown on my plug and play monitor also shown in the TV? If your speech(I can control over what can be displayed on External monitor ) was correct, this would be more useful in laptops provided with HDMI port and External monitor port  since I can watch, for instance,  movies  playing on my PC on another external monitor or TV. However, I will dedicate  the built-in monitor for my work.  I have never ever watched that there more than one monitors  connected to one PC, and each of those monitor display another picture/output/streaming while they are connected to the same PC. I am expecting whatever external display connected to the same PC, then all of them will display the same thing/picture

Finally: Carey Frisch, and even S.Sengupta who asked me (You may try Belarc Adviser  to get information on your graphic card details.) didn't know and realize anything from seeing 'GF5200/128M'. What means that they are like me have a total inexperience using any Windows OS

• Edited by cooperator Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:57 AM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:40 AM
  • To only finish ?? Oh, to only finish..

1. I have no idea whether you will be able to buy this cable.

2. For this graphics card, your options would seem to be shown in your screenshot (shown below)

3. Your conclusion is flawed. That probably just means they don't play computer games. I can assure you that either of these people knows twice as much about Windows than you and I put together.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:49 AM
  • To only finish ?? Oh, to only finish..

1. I have no idea whether you will be able to buy this cable.

2. For this graphics card, your options would seem to be shown in your screenshot (shown below)

3. Your conclusion is flawed. That probably just means they don't play computer games. I can assure you that either of these people knows twice as much about Windows than you and I put together.

Thanks a lot,

Second: Hmm!. Do you think that Daulview option will let each exteranl monitor show a different output/pictures, although they are connected to a same PC.  This would be much better if been ture. I never ever plugged two  mointor . I always working on one mointor. I sometimes connect a projector to my same laptop via External monitor port. However, what is shown in the monitor was shown in the projector. I could not specify as to which can be shown on the projector and which can be shown on the monitor, although  my Graphics Card is AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1 GB DDR5), which is discrete graphics card, and the Intel integrated GPU, which is buitl in the CPU. 

Finaly: We cannot quarrel or argue about whether neither or either of of those people knows twice as much about Windows than me. What we can argue about whoever can be finding a good solution of a computing problem as quickly as possible.

• Edited by cooperator Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:25 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:47 AM
  • The questions are unending.

They have nothing to do with XP or your original question(s). This is also not a chat room.

Please learn to Google and read documentation provided by the manufacturer/author of your product/software because...

I'm finished here.

Good luck.
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:16 AM
  • Okay, thanks a lot, for your help, I am now going  to remark it as solved since I said that unmarked it as unsolved temporarily.
    NOTE: I am struggling with the English language since it is not my language

• Edited by cooperator Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by cooperator Friday, July 24, 2015 11:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by cooperator Friday, July 24, 2015 11:51 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:09 PM