I have a batch of computers that have been added to the domain and need to change the computer name. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a batch of computers that have been added to the domain and need to change the computer name. Should I need to exit the ad domain and modify the name before adding the domain again? Do I have any information about it? What is Microsoft's official proposal to change the name of the computer in the domain?
    Monday, July 20, 2020 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi wick.kwan,

There is no need to exit the domain to rename the computer. We could refer to the following script to change the computer's name.

Rename the local computer:
    Rename-Computer -NewName "Server044" -DomainCredential Domain01\Admin01 -Restart

Rename a remote computer:
    Rename-Computer -ComputerName "Srv01" -NewName "Server001" -DomainCredential Domain01\Admin01 -Force

Regards,
    Rita 

"WSUS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 3:12 AM
  • Hi wick.kwan,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

"WSUS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, July 26, 2020 4:21 AM