How to horizonal arrange desktop icons automatically? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any setting such as registry key or desktop.ini variable could let's adjust it?
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:51 AM

Answers

• I'm afraid that it is by design. Why don't uncheck “Auto arrange icons" and manually arrange icons on your desktop?

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by dotAge Monday, November 9, 2009 3:14 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Why don't uncheck “Auto arrange icons" and manually arrange icons on your desktop?

In actual fact, if you disable "Auto arrange icons" and instead enable "Align to grid" you can then manually arrange the desktop icons horizontally across the screen, and also have a degree of protection against them afterwards being inadvertently dragged out of position.

So long as icons are not accidentally dragged too far for the setting to have impact, 'Align to Grid' will keep then neatly arranged in the horizontal rows you have placed them in.

With no such 'auto arrange' alternative available to you, that's about the best solution available.

Cheers.
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Monday, November 9, 2009 2:51 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to share the following resource with you:

The desktop overview

Moreover, as I know, the desktop relevant registry is located:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

The WindowArrangementActive entry is for desktop icons arrangement.

Best Regards
    Dale

Friday, November 6, 2009 3:56 AM
  • Hi, Dale,

I read the article you shared above and googled that registry but no help.
    I don't know why windows only auto arrange the desktop icons by column, why does not supply an option for arrange icons by row. I think it is not very hard to implement.

Best Regard,
    dotAge

Friday, November 6, 2009 10:35 AM
  • I'm afraid that it is by design. Why don't uncheck “Auto arrange icons" and manually arrange icons on your desktop?

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Why don't uncheck “Auto arrange icons" and manually arrange icons on your desktop?

In actual fact, if you disable "Auto arrange icons" and instead enable "Align to grid" you can then manually arrange the desktop icons horizontally across the screen, and also have a degree of protection against them afterwards being inadvertently dragged out of position.

So long as icons are not accidentally dragged too far for the setting to have impact, 'Align to Grid' will keep then neatly arranged in the horizontal rows you have placed them in.

With no such 'auto arrange' alternative available to you, that's about the best solution available.

Cheers.
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Monday, November 9, 2009 2:51 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:50 AM
  • Hi, Dale,

Actually I did as your suggestion currently. I just can't understand why Microsoft don't supply such a simple feature.

I think you also a chinese may be know the most famous works of calligraphy by Wang Xizhi -- Lanting Xu. I like it as my desktop background image and I don't like the icons over it. It seems I have to arrange them manually, fortunately it is not a hard job. :)

Best Regards,
    dotAge
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:10 AM