none
Missing volumes RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in a situation where 50% of my DPM volumes has been corrupted for some reason. After deleting all RAW volumes in Disk Manager, I can run consistency check on all other datasources without problem. However, there's a lot of "volumes missing" now due to the removal of the RAW volumes. So my question is - would it be possible to run a dpmsync -reallocatereplica in order to restore the replica/recovery point volumes? And without overwriting the healthy volumes?

/Amir

Saturday, April 20, 2013 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The RAW volumes may have been due to the volumes being placed into shadow copy protection mode.  This is a VSS feature that helps preserve shadow copies when writes cannot be done on the recovery point volumes.  This can happen if you are low on paged pool memory (too small paging file) or IO problems on the disk hosting the  recovery point volume for the effected data sources.

If you look at the system event log, look for events from VOLSNAP and see if it details volumes going into shadow copy protection mode.  Deleting the RAW volumes was not the correct course of action, however the answer to your question is yes, dpmsync -reallocatereplica will make new volumes without effecting good ones and allow you to run new consistency checks to get the data sources re-protected.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Jaan Meijer Monday, April 22, 2013 9:34 AM
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The RAW volumes may have been due to the volumes being placed into shadow copy protection mode.  This is a VSS feature that helps preserve shadow copies when writes cannot be done on the recovery point volumes.  This can happen if you are low on paged pool memory (too small paging file) or IO problems on the disk hosting the  recovery point volume for the effected data sources.

If you look at the system event log, look for events from VOLSNAP and see if it details volumes going into shadow copy protection mode.  Deleting the RAW volumes was not the correct course of action, however the answer to your question is yes, dpmsync -reallocatereplica will make new volumes without effecting good ones and allow you to run new consistency checks to get the data sources re-protected.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Jaan Meijer Monday, April 22, 2013 9:34 AM
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Thank you for replying Mike. I have already run reallocatereplica in order to begin with the consistency checks for all jobs, but then I know that it might not be a completely disaster if the volumes is shown as RAW in Disk Manager.

/Amir

Monday, April 22, 2013 9:36 AM