none
Recovery points failing with VSS 12293 errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help solve this ongoing issue. At the beggining of this week my main DC stopped backing up and DPM started saying that the "Replica is inconsistent" - the DC is a VMware VM running Server 2008 R2. I tried running a sync and verfy but the job fails with the same result. I removed and resinstalled the agent to no avail. I've also tried removing and resinstalling the Windows Server Backup feature but the issue remains.

When I add the server in the Protection Group I get a popup that says "DPM is unable to enumerate the contents.....". I've found a thread on this forum that says this can be ignored if I'm able to make my selections - which I can, so fair enough. When the server is added, the replica is created, but the synchronisation then fails again when it tries to create the recovery point.

When I look in the event log on the DC I get a string of VSS 12293 errors:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({5b05c775-7df5-4370-8e0c-5619b9022363}) [hr = 0x80070015, The device is not ready.

].

Operation:

Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:

Current State: DoSnapshotSet

I've carried out the suggestions in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734302(WS.10).aspx and all checks out. If I run vssadmin list writers in the DC, all are listed as No Error and Stable.

I'm running in to a brick walls now reagrding things to do to solve this problem. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to rebuild this DC.

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:13 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

I'm not sure what you are trying to protect on the DC, but assuming systemstate, try this.

Run this command from an administrative command prompt and see if it displays any additional errors:

wbadmin.exe start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:C:

If the error isn't self expainatory, please open a thread in the Windows backup group concerning the wbadmin error.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup

Once Wbadmin can take a succesfull systemstate backup, DPM systemstate backups should succeed.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Everett Monday, December 13, 2010 2:35 AM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:29 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I'm not sure what you are trying to protect on the DC, but assuming systemstate, try this.

Run this command from an administrative command prompt and see if it displays any additional errors:

wbadmin.exe start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:C:

If the error isn't self expainatory, please open a thread in the Windows backup group concerning the wbadmin error.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup

Once Wbadmin can take a succesfull systemstate backup, DPM systemstate backups should succeed.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Everett Monday, December 13, 2010 2:35 AM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:29 AM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I ran the command you provided and it failed with a warning of low disk space. Being Svr 2008 on a VM, I was able to add an extra 10GB in a couple of minutes and was then able to succesfully run the command.

I tried to run another consistency check but that failed. I then removed the members from the protection group and re-added but this time only only backing up the System State (I was backing up both the SS and BMR before) - this worked!! I then tried to add the BMR back in but the consistency check failed after around 1 hour 20 minutes. I'll remove the BMR because I have quarterly disk images of this server anyway - this was just a second line of defense.

Can you please let me know if you're aware of a rule-of-thumb for free space requirements for these backups? When the backup was originally failing I had around 35% free space. Once I'd added the space and created 58% free space I was then able to backup the SS. As I'm still unable to backup the BMR I'm wondering if I need even more free space - for future reference.

Many thanks,

Tony.

Monday, December 13, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Hi Tony,

When you select systemstate only, then windows backup will require free space on the protected machine to make the backup file.  When you select BMR (which includes systemsate), no local disk space is required as windows backup will write directly to the DPM servers replica volume.

To determine how much large the replica volume needs to be, you can run this command and see how big the BMR backup is.

Perform the following steps to test BMR backup outside of DPM.

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

At this point, it will list the volumes included in the BMR backup, continue....

3) After backup completes, Check the disk space required for the BMR by looking at the \\server\bmrshare and make sure the replica on the DPM server has enough disk space allocated to hold the BMR backup.

Monday, December 13, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Excellent! Thanks very much for the information, you've been a huge help - I've got a big green tick on my Protection Group again.

I'll try this command on any new servers I intend to do BMR backups on - and now I know, if I backup BMR I won't bother with System State in future.

Cheers!

Tony.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:31 AM