No Access to a network drive on Server2k3. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently took over as Network Administrator for a company.

In my first week I've added several workstations to the domain and I keep getting one problem.

We have 3 servers - All have shared network drives and many of the companies programs run through these drives.

The problem I have run into, is that when I add a new user via AD and set their permissions, they are unable to access one network drive.

Each server has 4 network drives, and all other network drives work correctly. The strange part of it is, all users created before this week are still able to access this drive fine. I have mirrored the settings, and even created new accounts with identical settings and can't gain access to this 1 network drive.

Some extra info ::

All servers are running Server2k3 R2 standard 32bit.

Workstations are running xp pro.  All software is updated to the current version. Also, all pc's are running AVG Network edition.

The error message I get is "P: is not accessible.  Access Denied."

On the new accounts I've made, I gave them full control to P: and all contained files/folders. I'm stuck.

The problem is that this network drive contains the most important files that we use daily and currently, we are having to let users share their logins to get around this issue, which I obviously don't want to do for security reasons.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has.

Thanks,

Ryan

Friday, July 16, 2010 7:45 PM

Answers

• You may wish to post this question to the Windows Server Forums. This forum here is dedicated to topics on Unified Communications (LCS 2005 SP1, OCS 2007, R2, CS "14", Communicator, etc.).

In short, check that the users have been assigned the correct permissions under both the NT File share as well as NTFS permissions. Using Windows Explorer, you can find the relevant tabs (Share, Security) by highlighting the folder name, right mouse click then pick Properties. The cumulative permissions will take effect e.g. if user has read-only Share Permission through the Everyone group but the latter is missing under Security, s/he will be denied access.

Hope this helps get you started to find a resolution. Do let us know anyway. Thanks!

TechNet Forum Moderator (Unified Communications) - http://www.leedesmond.com
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Friday, July 23, 2010 8:24 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 9:06 PM