Windows Live Messenger constantly disconnects then reconnects RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys. Not sure where the correct forum is for this issue, so please direct me there if need be. Here is my problem.

So far every person in my company has had the same issue where WLM contantly disconnects/reconnects every few minutes - including myself. With me, I just downgraded a few versions, then it started working again. I am now at the current version of WLM and it seems to be working fine. However, we got a new employee and hers is doing the same thing, and its becoming REALLY annoying as I cannot seem to fix this one. I am not sure exactly what the problem is as the problem seems to always fix itself. Here is what I have done so far...

Downgraded her WLM
    Disabled network autotuning: Not sure why this would have been the cause, as I have had the same WLM disconnect issue on XP Pro, but worth a try anyways

I have seen a hundred forums about this same issue with no real answers. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Brad
    Monday, February 8, 2010 12:23 PM

All replies

• Nobody? This is a huge annoyance I still haven't figured out
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:18 PM
  • If there is a newer version of Windows Live Messenger - it will disconnect and attempt to run the download dialog.
    There isn't any such way of avoiding an upgrade with WLM and this could be your problem.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Hi,

1.) Check your Internet Connection. If you are on Wireless check its status. If it has I.P conflicting, restart the Wireless device and re-connect back to the router. If you are on Ethernet connection, Right-Click on the Local Network Connection (Notification Area) and Click Diagonstic and Repair.

2.) Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger. Updating to the latest can fix issues with the current software.

3.) Check your Firewall settings. If it was blocked from the firewall settings, allow it to pass through the Firewall so you get fully connected to the internet.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

1.) Check your Internet Connection. If you are on Wireless check its status. If it has I.P conflicting, restart the Wireless device and re-connect back to the router. If you are on Ethernet connection, Right-Click on the Local Network Connection (Notification Area) and Click Diagonstic and Repair.

2.) Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger. Updating to the latest can fix issues with the current software.

3.) Check your Firewall settings. If it was blocked from the firewall settings, allow it to pass through the Firewall so you get fully connected to the internet.

wife and I have the same problem... it is not our internet connection, were on latest version an it is not the router as none of that has changed in over 2 years.... WLM just suddenly started disconnecting VERY frequently and it's very frustrating. I have seen people say disable upnp, remove any groups etc etc etc... none of that worked.... have completely turned off any and all firewalls, no help... this happens no matter where we are with our laptops... lowest common denominator is WLM.
    • Proposed as answer by Master Code Monday, February 21, 2011 4:17 PM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Hey guys, I have this problem too since long time, even that I’d installed yesterday the latest version on new windows 7 but nothing changed! Its sucks...

Saturday, April 28, 2012 5:15 AM