none
DPM Agent install Error 32680 RRS feed

• Question

• DPM version: DPM2010 RTM

Client Server to be Backed Up: Server 2003 SP2

Trusted Domain: No

I have been able to successfully install the agent on the client server in question, and I have run the SetDPMServer command correctly as I have before on other servers. For this server I am recieving the following error.

Attach protected computer mycomputer failed

Error 32680: The credentials specified for server  mycomputer are invalid

Recommended Action: Rerun the operation with the same credentials that were provided when runn SetDpmServer for the target server.

Yes, and of course I've tried the username and password numerous time, but it just doesn't work the same way as others. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Kind Regards,

David

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 7:34 AM Moving to DPM Workgroup Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Just to clarify, you say this server is not in a trusted domain.  Did you run the -isNonDomainServer switch when running setdpmserver?

1.       Place the appropriate installer for the platform of the workgroup server on a share that is accessible or copy to removable media so it is available to the workgroup server.

2.       From the workgroup server, run the platform specific DPMAgentInstaller*.exe.

Open a command prompt on the workgroup server and run the SetDpmServer.exe command and specify the local user credentials that will be used for authentication.  A local user account will be created and the DPM protection agent will be configured to use this account for authentication.  In this example, the DPM server that is going to protect the workgroup machine is DPM01 and a new user (cannot be an existing account) will be created named dpmagent on that workgroup machine.  This process will prompt for the password for this new user.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>setdpmserver -dpmservername DPM01 -isnondomainserver -username dpmagent

Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[dpm01]

Enter the password for 'dpmagent' to connect to 'dpm01':

Retype the password to confirm:

Enter the password for 'dpmagent' to connect to 'dpm01':

Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[dpm01]

Configuration completed successfully!!!

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>

Note:

The local account created here is a low level non-administrative user with limited rights.  It is only added to the following groups: Distributed COM Users, DPMRADCOMTrustedMachines and DPMRADmTrustedMachines.

3.                            Now go to the DPM server and open DPM Management Shell and run the following.  Here, the workgroup servername is WGServer and the password that was assigned in the step above is Password1. 

Attach-nondomainserver –dpmservername dpm01 -psname wgserver -username dpmagent -password Password1

Alternately this can be done through the DPM Administrator console using the Attach agents workflow of the Agent installation wizard and selecting Computer in workgroup or untrusted domain.  This too will prompt for the username and password provided in step two above.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I was able to download the DPM agent from a share and been able to install it on the server without issue. I have then run the setdpm command, and checked the user was created and in the DCOM groups. When attaching it using powershell or the GUI I recieve the same error regarding the credentials being incorrect.

I am able to attach other server with the same method without error, it just appears to be this server that is having the issue.
    I have also attempted:
    Disabling antivirus
    Disabling firewall
    Using different account name scheme, ie. computername\account, account@computername
    Using DNS resolution as well as hosts files

I find this event id befuddling, I have had other people come up and type in the password. What is strange is that it shows the same error whether the right or intentionally wrong credentials are used.

Any other thoughts?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:28 AM
  • What are the OS versions of DPM and protected computers? They must be having different NTLM level being configured. Can you please make sure that the protected computer is having the same NTLM level being configured as the DPM server? You can find the documentation about NTLM levels and how they can be configured at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738867(WS.10).aspx.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 10:21 AM
  • Hi Praveen,

Thank you for your contribution. I eventually found out what the error was, someone had disabled DCOM on the client. If other users are experiencing this issue, have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825750 or http://support.sas.com/rnd/itech/doc9/admin_oma/sasserver/comdcom/dcom_enable.html to see if DCOM is disabled. If DCOM has been disabled, enable it and reboot the server. This resolved the issue in this case.

Kind Regards,

David

• Marked as answer by DBR-9 Monday, November 8, 2010 12:06 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 12:06 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I was able to download the DPM agent from a share and been able to install it on the server without issue. I have then run the setdpm command, and checked the user was created and in the DCOM groups. When attaching it using powershell or the GUI I recieve the same error regarding the credentials being incorrect.

I am able to attach other server with the same method without error, it just appears to be this server that is having the issue.
    I have also attempted:
    Disabling antivirus
    Disabling firewall
    Using different account name scheme, ie. computername\account, account@computername
    Using DNS resolution as well as hosts files

I find this event id befuddling, I have had other people come up and type in the password. What is strange is that it shows the same error whether the right or intentionally wrong credentials are used.

Any other thoughts?

I have the same problem as Chris and David but I did not perform the additional tasks mentioned by Chris above.

I found the DCOM setting in the client machine (running Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 x64) was "Enabled".

I also checked that the DPM server had NOT defined the "NTLM level" but was able to connect to 2 other client machines but those client machines are running Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64. So I think the NTLM level is not related to this issue.

I have no idea on how to resolve this problem as well.

Monday, June 30, 2014 8:43 AM
  • Hi Team,

Im getting the same issue. Even client not configure to new server as well. I had tried my best to install/uninstalled DPM agent,Dcom setting, check NTLM level even i has already try to install on different DPm server. But not any luck... Only getting below error. where supplying current credentials.

Attach protected computer HOST-07 failed:
    Error 32680: The credentials specified for server HOST-07 are invalid.
    Recommended action: Rerun the operation with the same credentials that were provided when running SetDpmServer for the target server.

On DPM Server Event getting below error.

DCOM got error "2147942405" from the computer HOST-07 when attempting to activate the server:
    {DA6AA17A-D61C-4E9C-8CEA-DB25DEA52A95}

Milan Tyagi

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:16 AM
  • Milan,

Since this issue was resolved and that didn't work for you, please open a new thread so that it can be tracked separately.  We will want to know what method you are using to run setdpmserver (exact syntax but with your servername/username information changed) as well as the same information being used when trying to attach to that agent.  Also be sure to post the version of DPM you are using.  Thanks.

Thanks, Chris - [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, October 13, 2014 12:52 PM