none
Unable to protect .. DPM Tries to connect to wrong SQL instance RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2012 SP0, MOSS 2010 SP1, Clustered SQL 2008 R2 SP1, Windows 2008 R2 SP1

I have a farm with 3 front ends and clustered SQL back end. I have successfully setup DPM to backup our test farm that should be identical except for hostnames. When I moved to our production farm and attemtped to add protection for sharepoint, I keep getting error 966. (DPM could not connect to SQL server instance OLDSQLSERVER\INSTANCE on the protected computer CLUSTERHOST01). The odd thing is that this instance no longer exists and was never used in the SP2010 farm. It is the instance name that held our previous SP2007 farm. The upgrade was done via database attach method, so there is no reason the new farm should even know about the old instance name.

I have verified that all SQL aliases on all WFEs are correct. I cannot find reference to the incorrect name in central admin or with get-spdatabase. In all cases the SQL alias is what is listed for SQL server. I also checked both DPMRACurr.errlog and WssCmdletsWrapperCurr.errlog and could not find reference to the incorrect name. In all cases that I saw a database server listed it was either the Alias or the correct server that the alias points to.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go looking for the location DPM is getting the old server info from?

Thank you for any suggestions or consideration of this matter.

Regards,

Joe M.

Friday, December 28, 2012 12:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, dpm contacts the WFE first in order to get the list of content databases, then the sql server to get the data backed up.So it should be the sharepoint configuration that tells dpm in the end where to look for databases, so maybe somewhere in the sharepoint config it is written the old database info.

You mentioned that you upgraded SharePoint via a database attach. are all your db's on "no upgrade needed" state on the sharepoint farm?

When are you receiving these errors 966? on the sharepoint backup jobs? could they be related to the sharepoint catalog job?

Roberto

Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Roberto:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The issue occurs when I try to create protection group, when I select the sharepoint instance from the WFE.

I do not know where to look for the reference. The none of the content databases listed in central admin list that instance. Furhter, the referenced SQL instance no longer exists. If it were actively being used I would expect a health error for the missing DB, but there is none. I am simply hung as to where to look for this reference.

~joe

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:39 PM
  • So, the problem occurs when selecting the sharepoint item protection in the "Select group members" panel on the DPM wizard? Strange... can you list the items appearing under the name of the server? e.g. "All Shares", "All Volumes", "System Protection","

maybe reconfiguring the wss writer on the sharepoint server could reset the information

ConfigureSharePoint.exe -EnableSharePointProtection 

and then retrying the PG creation. Another test I would do, if the first does not work,

ConfigureSharePoint.exe -EnableSharePointProtection -ResolveAllSQLAliases

With SharePoint 2010 you don't need the -enablespsearchrpotection item.

Just for ensuring that the client side is ok, issue this on the WFE used for SP protection

vssadmin list writers

and check that the Sharepoint writer is ok (Last error: No error, or State: [1] Stable).

can you be more explicit in explaining exactly when and how are you getting the "966" errors?

Roberto

Friday, January 25, 2013 11:42 AM
  • I have a very similar situation here, only my error is 956 - DPM cannot protect your Windows SharePoint Services farm until you install agents on the following servers: <old_decommissioned_SQL_server>.  I'm using a SQL alias, but it resolves perfectly on the WFE that DPM is using for backups.  ConfigureSharePoint.exe -ResolveAllSQLAliases shows ALL SharePoint databases with the alias name and the server name.  There are no entries in the event log on the WFE that indicate any errors, just that the DPMRA service has started.  Of course, the SQL server doesn't show any errors.  Neither does the DPM server, although there are a lot of cryptic entries in the MSDPMCurr log file referring to the inability to resolve the old SQL cluster names. 

This doesn't make sense and it's driving me crazy!  Has ANYONE found a resolution to this problem? 

Thanks,

Mike

• Edited by Mikey217 Friday, October 24, 2014 8:14 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 8:09 PM
  • Mike:

Our solution was to rebuild the farm with different aliases. In our case the root cause seemed to be that we had 2 farms using the same alias name but different targets. This seemed to confuse DPM which assumed that the aliases were unique.

Sorry I don't have an easier solution for you.

~joe

Monday, October 27, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Man, thank goodness my problem was a little different.  I found a solution to my issue over the weekend, and that was to install the SQL 2005 Tools on the WFE that DPM is using for backups.  Even though we're running SQL 2008 on the backend, apparently that's a thing with WSS 3 and SP 2007... requires SQL 2005 tools. 

So now I'm back in business without too much hassle.  Thanks for getting back to me, though!  I really appreciate it.

Mike

Monday, October 27, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Hi Mike,

On the WFE which, Configure SharePoint was initial run on (If not already done so) I would suggest looking into what the SharePoint Writer is reporting. Essentially DPM will just query the writer and pull in what it reports.

From WFE that Configure SharePoint was initial run carry out below.

1.Open administrative command line type below

2. DISKSHADOW.exe > c:\DiskShadowlist.txt

3. LIST WRITERS

The above will pipe out the writers in text format to root of C: view the items under * WRITER "SharePoint Services Writer"

Example snip: (when SQL alias’s is used)

+ Component "SharePoint Services Writer:\AliasForSQL\WSS_Content_Test"

- Name: WSS_Content_ Test

- Logical path: AliasForSQL

- Full path: \AliasForSQL\WSS_Content_Test

- Caption: Content Database WSS_Content_Test

(Clipped content....)

- Component Dependencies:

- Dependency to "{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}:\\realserver\ realserver (or instance if not default)\db

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

Monday, October 27, 2014 7:42 PM
  • Hi Dwayne,

Yes, that looks exactly like it's supposed to now.  Before I installed the SQL 2005 tools, the 'realserver' part was incorrect. 

Thanks!

Mike

Monday, October 27, 2014 8:02 PM