windows 7 upgrde fiasco RRS feed

• Question

• i just upgraded my gateway 6440 with a new western digital 250gb h/d and a new windows 7 o/s cd.  now i have no sound card recognition and my video card is supposedly not sufficient to handle the system requirements.  what do i do to fix at least the sound situation???

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

Please contact Gateway first and confirm if your laptop is fully compatible with Windows 7. Also, confirm if there is any updated driver available for the devices.

In the meantime, go to Device Manager to see if the device drivers can be downloaded and installed from Windows Update:

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the Display adapters.

3. Right click the display card and click “Update Driver Software…”

4. Repeat the above steps to update the audio driver.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:48 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:42 AM

All replies

• From what I understand Gateway 6440 is a laptop, so this really limits your options. The only solution I see for the sound is pretty ugly: there are USB sound cards which are essentially USB dongles with audio outputs. I would guess some of them are compatible with Windows 7. But then you would also have to use external speakers and mike. It all seems so inconvenient that I if I were you I would just downgrade to whatever OS you had before (especially considering video card deficiency).
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Please contact Gateway first and confirm if your laptop is fully compatible with Windows 7. Also, confirm if there is any updated driver available for the devices.

In the meantime, go to Device Manager to see if the device drivers can be downloaded and installed from Windows Update:

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the Display adapters.

3. Right click the display card and click “Update Driver Software…”

4. Repeat the above steps to update the audio driver.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:48 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:42 AM