none
Solving Prolific PL-2303 USB to Serial Comm Port installation issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

More and more machines are comming without Parallel and serials ports, they are comming with USB external ports only.
    Some have the RS-232 and Parallel headers in the motherboard, and that should last for about a year I think.

At any rate, the issue I was facing is the following:
    (a) Installing Prolific PL-2303 USB to Serial Comm Port on Windows XP Pro SP3 works OK and system runs fine. there are some capacity issues regarding the buffer size, but that is another post.
    (b) Installing on WEPOS 1.1 SP3 on some motherboards (Older ones) that have at least the Parallel headers and a serial port, the device also works as with (a)
    (c) Installing on WEPOS 1.1 SP3 with a machine with only external USB's (no parallel / serial port or headers). The installation process runs OK. but when the device
    is plugged I get the following error message:

"An error ocurred during the installation of the device"
    "A service Installation section in this INF is invalid"
    (d) Installing on POSReady 2009. I get the same as with (c)

This is how I solved, after many frustrating reboots with the same message about the INF section and multiple Prolific drivers tried.  I started digging windows:
    (1) Find the setupapi.log and read it, if the OS is a fresh install it will not be too long.
    (2) Read this:
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
    #I063 Selected driver installs from section [ComPort] in "c:\windows\inf\oem15.inf".
    #I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    #I060 Set selected driver.
    #I058 Selected best compatible driver.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
    #I124 Doing copy-only install of "USB\VID_067B&PID_2303\5&B6C3FC&0&2".
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
    #I056 Coinstallers registered.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
    #-011 Installing section [ComPort.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem15.inf".
    #I054 Interfaces installed.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
    #I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_067B&PID_2303\5&B6C3FC&0&2".
    #-035 Processing service Add/Delete section [ComPort.NT.Services].
    #E339 Add Service: Binary "C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys" for service "Serenum" is not present.
    #E032 Error 0xe0000217: A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
    #E275 Error while installing services. Error 0xe0000217: A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
    #E122 Device install failed. Error 0xe0000217: A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
    #E154 Class installer failed. Error 0xe0000217: A service installation section in this INF is invalid.

[2010/02/13 23:32:24 2004.2]

(3) So it was the serenum.sys file that Windows needed to find in the ..\system32\drivers folder. I got the serenum.sys from one of the temporary folders created by the installation process.

(3a) So, I think that windows installs this sys file if it recognizes the motherboard has at least one parallel or serial port.

(4) So good luck when installing your serial device to your POS solution. I will open another thread if I have problems with the buffer size of the device.

Humberto Sequeira

Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:17 AM

Answers

• Humberto,

Very interesting.   The first thing that I noticed is that these systems are not marketed as POS systems, and the manufacturer probably did not envision connecting non-USB peripherals to these devices.  This would certainly exclude a large number of POS peripherals.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:31 PM

All replies

• Humberto,

Do you have POSReady installed to a non-USB storage device?  Installation of drivers through PnP when running POSReady from a USB device is disabled to protect the USB BOOT stack and prevent image growth on USB Flash devices.  Just wondering if this is contributing to the experience you described above.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:43 AM
  • Hello Terry,

No, it is just a regular DVD install on PosReady 2009 on a hard drive.

So I think is that, if the installation of POSReady 2009 does not detect a Parallel or Serial port, it just does not installs the sys files.

Also if memory does not fail me, the installation size needed, reported by POSReady, is smaller on machines with only USB ports.

Humberto Sequeira
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Just a quick note.

There is one more file you need: ser2pl.sys

It comes as one of the PL-2303 drivers.

• Edited by solo_software Monday, March 22, 2010 5:58 AM correction
    Monday, March 22, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Humberto,

Can you provide details of the POS Terminal that you are encountering these issues with?  I am not aware of any POS Terminals that are shipping without at least one serial port.  There are still serial peripherals that one would expect to be used on these devices.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Hello Terry,

I agree, the USB to serial devices do help for small printers. Not big 2 roll printers.

These are used for a waiter stations (not cashier stations), they does not have serial ports

http://www.3way-tech.com/product_info.php?products_id=307&osCsid=db59b0be9992f841f8061735a8bd5f73

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=MwWeVhoqytqMj5Mq (customer bought these ones themselves, so we upgraded them to POSReady with the USB-Serial device)

These are small footprint PC's, and the ASUS has a Bios Touchscreen which is very interesting.

Humberto Sequeira

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Humberto,

Very interesting.   The first thing that I noticed is that these systems are not marketed as POS systems, and the manufacturer probably did not envision connecting non-USB peripherals to these devices.  This would certainly exclude a large number of POS peripherals.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Hello Terry,

Indeed, they were not intended as POS system, the EEE Top machines are candy to the eye, but for my taste they do not work in POS environment (I give them 1 year before they pop). Regarding the other, well competition is tought, so you have to get creative in order to keep costs down, and this one can be used as a waiter stations, that do not need heavy serial comunications.

Anyways, the POSReady does not install these system files if the installation does not detect a serial or parallel port (which make sense, as why would it install drivers for a device that is not detected). I posted this for others to be aware of this when they select the hardware that will be offered to their customers, as good old "on mother-board" serial and parallel ports cannot be beaten by their USB imitations (IRQ and memory addressing processing are needed for end devices to function properly).

Have a great weekend,

Humberto

Friday, March 26, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Humberto,

I still experience this problem with Windows 2009POS Ready and installing a usb to serial port adapter.  Has this problem been resolved with the OS yet?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Terry,

I still experience this problem with usb to serial port adapter and Windows POSReady 2009.  Has this been resolved in the OS yet?

Thank you

Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Hello netflo,

I have used these adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-SBT-USC1M-Hi-Speed-Serial-Adapter/dp/B000X2QRK2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296707854&sr=1-3

http://www.yoytec.com/product_info.php/products_id/3060

If your machine does not have an internal serial port, then you will need the ser2pl.sys that comes with the PL-203 drivers.

Check the setupapi.log file to see what info it gives you.

good luck

Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:48 AM
  •  I'm a little late to the party but will propose the dirty way of solving this for anyone else needing the info. I tried copying the files and scouring my directory to no avail so went off on a tangent.

Just go into control panel, add hardware, and tell it that it has a com port. After it installs drivers obviously it does not determine the settings and asks you to set resources manually. I didn't bother and simply closed that and plugged my serial adapter back in and it now works.

Not an elegant solution but works :)

Sunday, December 29, 2013 4:02 PM