Can't uninstall SP3 RC2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I wanted to install SP3 RC2 "refresh" but the first thing that I have to do is uninstall SP3 RC2(v.3311), and when I tried to do it it shows me the error "Bosnian (Latin,Bosnia and Herzegovina) selected as the language for standards and formats, or for non-Unicode programs. This language is not supported prior to windows XP Service Pack 3. Please see readmesp.htm to select a different language."

Bosnian is not selected in any of my language options (is Spanish Mexico). I changed all my settings to United States and still I get the same error. I searched everywhere for the "readmesp.htm" file and didn't find it.

What should I do to get rid of this bug so I can uninstall SP3 RC2?

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:04 PM

Answers

• Based on our mail discussion, the problem is solved. Following were the steps"

"check the below  reg keys. (Please create them if they are not present already). Set them to the values mentioned.

HKLM, SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language, Default (REG_SZ), 0x0000

HKCU, Control Panel\International, Locale (REG_SZ) , 0x0000"

Thanks

Shashank

Friday, April 25, 2008 5:02 PM

All replies

• Evening or good ay Rafasa

Have you attempted to uninstall from the $NTUninstallSvcpack$ ?

A) enable view system files and folders

To be able to view the directory you have to start by clicking on start

Goto control panel,

Click on folder options,

then click on view tab

inside you ae going to click on two check boxes (see note at the bottom)

1) Show hidden files and folders

2) hide protected operating system files (recommended)

Once you have back out of this by clicking on ok you can navigate to the ntuninstall folder.

I am assuming you are using this on x86 right?

At this point you want to reboot your computer. Before it allow the splash screen press the *f8 * key and start in safe mode, log in as an adminstrator. Both of these steps will save you alot of grief!

click on start, my computer.

Click on your boot hard drive. *usually c:*

Click on the windows folder

Search for the $ntUninstallsvcpack$ folder.

Inside will be the uninstaller. Might have to click on another folder to find the uninstaller. The uninstaller will now perform alot of steps to re-install sp2. This will take some time, it callls the installer and recreates your sp2 installation, if any programs were installed during your usage of SP3 it will attempt to install from .inf in the inf folder.

Prior to installing Sp3 refresh, any seps you took to install the last sp3 release candidate will need to be re done,

reset.cmd as mentioned here.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=2586439&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

Once you have rebooted again. You can then goto the windows update site and down load the sp3 refresh candidate.

Good luck

Old timer, Cassete program loader days. Opps not quite dusty deck!

Keith

(Note you are setting the first box to enable showing files and folders and clearing the second box, hopefully this clears things up a bit better for results to enabling finding the uninstaller!)

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:20 AM
  • I I also can't Uninstall Windows XP SP3 RC2. It gives me an error message saying "The system cannot find the specified file, uninstall camceled " Before it starts the attempt  to uninstall it gives me a window saying "these programs might not work if you continue" so i uninstalled them and still same message.

what should i do?

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:54 PM
  •  rafasa wrote:

Hi, I wanted to install SP3 RC2 "refresh" but the first thing that I have to do is uninstall SP3 RC2(v.3311), and when I tried to do it it shows me the error "Bosnian (Latin,Bosnia and Herzegovina) selected as the language for standards and formats, or for non-Unicode programs. This language is not supported prior to windows XP Service Pack 3. Please see readmesp.htm to select a different language."

Bosnian is not selected in any of my language options (is Spanish Mexico). I changed all my settings to United States and still I get the same error. I searched everywhere for the "readmesp.htm" file and didn't find it.

What should I do to get rid of this bug so I can uninstall SP3 RC2?

Hi,

Can you please see if the following registry key is present on your system?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International

Locale (REG_SZ)

Please create one and try uninstalling.

Thanks

Shashank

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:05 PM
  •  Chris Schnuelle wrote:

I I also can't Uninstall Windows XP SP3 RC2. It gives me an error message saying "The system cannot find the specified file, uninstall camceled " Before it starts the attempt  to uninstall it gives me a window saying "these programs might not work if you continue" so i uninstalled them and still same message.

what should i do?

Can you please share spuninst.log with us (send it to shashank<dot>bansal<at>microsoft<dot>com).

Moreover, you can try the following to uninstall.

Method 1.

Use “system restore” to move back to SP2 state

Method 2.

Execute the following steps.

Before Un-installation

1. Go to %windir%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} and Delete tmp.* catalogs.

2. Move KB* catalogs to a backup folder.

3. Move nt5.cat, sp3.cat, sp2.cat to the backup folder.

4. Rename catdb file as well as timestamp file given under %windir%\system32\CatRoot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}.

5. Uninstall SP3.

After Un-installation

1. Move back all KB* catalogs to CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} folder. Don’t replace the catalog if already present.

2. Rename catdb file as well as timestamp file given under %windir%\system32\CatRoot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}.

3. Run sigverif.exe from c:\windows\system32

Thanks

Shashank

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Didn't work.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:41 AM
  • It didn't work.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:43 AM
  • It didn't work

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Can you please share spuninst.log with us (send it to shashank<dot>bansal<at>microsoft<dot>com).

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Based on our mail discussion, the problem is solved. Following were the steps"

"check the below  reg keys. (Please create them if they are not present already). Set them to the values mentioned.

HKLM, SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language, Default (REG_SZ), 0x0000

HKCU, Control Panel\International, Locale (REG_SZ) , 0x0000"

Thanks

Shashank

Friday, April 25, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Thanks Shashank but could you be more specific? Where do I find HCKU------ and does this change make it possible to uninstall SP3 rc2 or install SP3 final?

Right now I can't uninstall sp3 rc2 because of a missing file or what ever. Which I can't install sp3 final and around and around we go.

wfdavis
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:29 PM
  •  wfdavis wrote:
    Thanks Shashank but could you be more specific? Where do I find HCKU------ and does this change make it possible to uninstall SP3 rc2 or install SP3 final?

Right now I can't uninstall sp3 rc2 because of a missing file or what ever. Which I can't install sp3 final and around and around we go.

wfdavis
    [/quote

I have this same problem.  I cannot uninstall SP3 RC2 3311.  Is there a fix for this or a way to get back to SP2 and then install SP3?

Thanks for your help

Friday, May 16, 2008 6:58 PM
  •  Luis E. Castaneda wrote:

wfdavis wrote:
    Thanks Shashank but could you be more specific? Where do I find HCKU------ and does this change make it possible to uninstall SP3 rc2 or install SP3 final?

wfdavis
    [/quote

I have this same problem.  I cannot uninstall SP3 RC2 3311.  Is there a fix for this or a way to get back to SP2 and then install SP3?

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Shashank, you saved the day. I went and changed the language default value to 0x0000, and had to create a new key for International, and string for Locale and add its value because it didn't exist. After that Sp3 uninstaller ran succesfully. Thank you.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:14 PM
  • hi!!!! i found you on the internet!!!!!! yes.... its the fav pika.... im at school.... idk wat to 2... lol!!!
    Friday, October 24, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Hello! Hibbin,

My name is Hung Chau. I have the same proble as yours. I do not know much about computer. Would you please tell me steps to solve the problem?

My e-mail address are as follows:

hchau@carolina.rr.com

and

lekienquocchau@gmail.com

I am looking forward to hearing soon from you.

Hung Chau

Friday, January 23, 2009 10:01 AM
  • can you plz explain in detail.

I am facing the same problem as by rafasa that is when I tried to uninstall SP3 it shows me the error "Bosnian (Latin,Bosnia and Herzegovina) selected as the language for standards and formats, or for non-Unicode programs. This language is not supported prior to windows XP Service Pack 3. Please see readmesp.htm to select a different language."

plz give stepwise instructions because i am not understanding what u have explained about reg key, hklm, hkcu and all that stuff.

or mail me at ankam.satish@ymail.com

thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Hi Shashank,

Thanks for the help, but can you please give some insight into how exactly to change these keys, I understand how to get to RegEdit, but do I Modify the Value or the Value Data? or do I Modify Binary Data, if so do I edit the Value or the Value Data? Thanks in advance for any help, I've been struggling with uninstalling Service Pack3 forever!

SDub

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:56 AM