none
RDP single server solution with per user licenses RRS feed

• Question

• I’m new to Azure and to RDP licensing, so explicit answers / suggestions are very welcome. 

A small non-profit wants to update and move their 2008 server to the cloud. They want to run Microsoft Web Expression 4 (yes, Expression is obsolete / unsupported) using Remote Desktop. 

To test, we set up an Azure 2008 VM using the two administrative RD connections and installed Expression. This configuration works well for them except that they need valid licenses and up to 6 concurrent RDP sessions (per user, not per client licenses). 

They would also like to move to a 2016 or 2019 VM running Remote Desktop Services -and do this as simply as possible (using a single server, for example).

My understanding is that using a Workgroup server as a single server solution they must use per client RDP licenses. It’s not clear to me if per user RDP licenses can be used with a Domain Controller as the single server.

Questions: 

1. Is this feasible? -or would you suggest some other cloud solution?
    2. Can a single Azure server provide all the Remote Desktop services that are needed to host 6 RDP sessions (per user not per client licenses)?
    3. Any pointers to articles or instructions will be appreciated.

I’ve tried setting up a 2019 server to test this. My understanding is that the Remote Desktop Service Host has a 120 day grace period during which RD connections are allowed even though licenses have not been installed -so I’m hoping to set up an RDP server to test with before purchasing licenses. 

Below is a link to the guide I used to set up a single server solution. This test server is failing but that’s likely due to my inexperience. Before I devote too much time to troubleshooting this installation I want to know that I’m on the right path and that this should work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2833839/guidelines-for-installing-the-remote-desktop-session-host-role-service

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:10 AM

Answers

• Vikas and Micah, this is resolved. 

The problem was not with the server. The RDP clients had the ‘Connect to an admin session’ option enabled -which was forcing all connections to be admin sessions and limiting the number of connections to two.

After using Azure for the first time to set up a vm I assumed the problem was with how I set up the server and never considered looking at the client configurations.

Thanks for your help with this!

Bill

• Marked as answer by Bill_Ferguson Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:31 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:31 PM

All replies

• To start, I would suggest you do move forward with moving away from Server 2008. We are quickly approching the end of support lifecycle for that version of windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456235/end-of-support-for-windows-server-2008-and-windows-server-2008-r2

We also do have some docs to make deploying an RDS server easier you might find useful

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-in-azure

So I would start with the above link to test/ experiment a bit :) 

You can use a single server to host the RDP sessions and the RDS server, however it is suggest you have a separate server for RDS in case the VM becomes corrupted you don't lose all the work done to configure it. Or at least that way you won't see much downtime. 

Depending on the number of users you have will determine how many licenses you will end up needing. 

We have some licensing information here: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-client-access-license

Take a look at some of the links and let me know which areas you want more clarification/ guidance on 

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:25 PM
  • Micah, creating a deployment using Azure Marketplace was very convenient. This did give me a chance to set up a configuration to test with - thanks.

Azure Marketplace did not offer 2019 RDS servers -at least not that I saw. Are 2019 RDS servers not supported at this time?

Thanks also for pointing out the issue with a single server for both RDP and RDS.  I’m still interested in pursuing a single server RDS solution using per user CAL’s and would appreciate any advice and documents that might assist in setting this up.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:59 PM
  • Glad it helped :) I will dig into if 2019 is supported. I am not sure off the top of my head. Also, you might consider an additional post here: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winRDc

There is nothing really special about running an RDS server in Azure vs on prem with the exception you don't have to provide the server. So there might be some more knowledgeable people on the RDS forum we have. I will dig around though and post what else I can find. 

Thursday, October 17, 2019 10:04 PM
  • Hello Bill,

Any update on the issue?

Just checking in if you got chance to check the previous response from Micah. 

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Thanks Vikas. The question regarding a single server RDC solution is unanswered. I re-posted the question in the WinRDC forum as Micah suggested.

Am curious to see if Micah turns up anything regarding RDS on 2019.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:37 PM
  • Hi Bill. I did some checking and RDS on Server 2019 is GA and available to use. So no issues there :) 

I also found a preconfigured image you can use from the marketplace offered by one of our partners 

https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/cloud-infrastructure-services.rds-2019-basic-deployment-farm?tab=Overview

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:56 PM
  • Vikas and Micah, this is resolved. 

The problem was not with the server. The RDP clients had the ‘Connect to an admin session’ option enabled -which was forcing all connections to be admin sessions and limiting the number of connections to two.

After using Azure for the first time to set up a vm I assumed the problem was with how I set up the server and never considered looking at the client configurations.

Thanks for your help with this!

Bill

• Marked as answer by Bill_Ferguson Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:31 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:31 PM