none
RDP into Hyper-v host server 2012 R2 stops working RRS feed

• Question

•      I recently upgraded my Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 R2.  I like using RDP to remote into the host server 2012 R2 to manage the host and VMs.  It seems that RDP stops working, so I cannot remote into the host from an external machine.  I can RDP into one of the VMs and then RDP into the host from there.

Also, if I assign a static IP to the network adapter, I have no Internet access.  If I use troubleshoot, it turns on DHCP and assigns it the IP I want, which I have reserved.  Then I have Internet access.  Once I do this, I can use RDP from an external machine.  However, after a while if I try again, I can no longer RDP into the host.

Can anyone suggest what to look for?

Thanks,

Jeff King

Sunday, February 1, 2015 11:34 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you have a network issue.  Something's not configured correctly when you're assigning the static IP.  Are you sure that you've got the correct GW and DNS?  Is the static IP on the correct subnet, is it verified that you're not using the IP somewhere else?

What do the event logs show at the time you lose your connection?

For future posts, please use a different forum, this one is for the product Virtual Server 2005.  Your issue is most likely Windows Server related or possibly Hyper-V, those would be the best places to get the most eyes on your issue.

Monday, February 2, 2015 2:08 AM
  • Thank  you Steve.  I have moved over to the Server forum.

Jeff

Monday, February 2, 2015 2:49 AM