none
DPM 2010: Replica is Inconsistent Error on BMR and SYSTEM STATE in the Protection Tab. RRS feed

• Question

• My Server 2008 R2, is running DPM 2010 ver3.  It is acting as an Secondary DPM server (Offsite) to backup a Primary Server via VPN tunnel.  It is coming up Replica Inconsistent error on the BMR and System State under system protection:

Here are the details of the error:

Replica path: Click to view details
    Latest recovery point: -
    Oldest recovery point: -
    Total recovery points: 0
    Disk allocation: Replica volume: 30.00 GB allocated, 90.69 MB used | Recovery point volume: 6.56 GB allocated, 61.57 MB used

Affected area: Computer\System Protection
    Occurred since: 12/08/2010 1:32:16 PM
    Description: The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on DPM.tXX.XXXXnal is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
     DPM failed to create the backup. If you are backing up only System State, verify if there is enough free space on the protected computer to store the System State backup.  On protected computers running Windows Server2008, verify that Windows Server Backup (WSB) is installed and that it is not performing any other backup or recovery task. (ID 30214 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)
     More information
    Recommended action: You can see the errors reported by WSB in the Eventlog on the protected computer DPM.tes.internal. For resolution actions and more information on these errors, go to
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734488(WS.10).aspx.
     Synchronize with consistency check.
     Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
     Inactivate alert

Now my question is:

Firstly, do you need to have WSB installed for this to work?  Am I running out of space?

What does this "Disk allocation: Replica volume: 30.00 GB allocated, 90.69 MB used | Recovery point volume: 6.56 GB allocated, 61.57 MB used" imply?

If i am running out of space how do I re-allocate, by modify disk allocation?

Now, all the rest of my SQL data, VOLUME DATA and EXCHANGE MAIL BOX DATA are being backed up correctly, so why is it that only these two SYSTEM STATE and BARE METAL RECOVERY have the replica inconsistent error.  Can someone who was involved with the design of this DPM program shed some light as to what causes replica inconsistent error so that i can better troubleshoot.

Another point is that right now I am still running evaluation copy, as i am still evaluating.  Would that have anything to do with it?

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:07 PM

Answers

• Please check the protected server (PS) and make sure the Windows backup feature is installed and if already installed look for any event messages on the PS for Windows backup that may detail the cause of the failure.  To test BMR backup outside of DPM, try this command:

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

3) troubleshoot any Windows backup problems that occur, once this works, DPM should be able to take BMR backups.

4) Check the disk space required for the BMR by looking at the \\server\bmrshare and make sure the PG on the DPM server has enought disk space allocated for the replica volume to hold the BMR backup.

NOTE: BMR backup does NOT require any disk space on the PS, DPM writes directly to the DPM Servers replica volume. However, if you only select SystemState (not bmr option) - then DPM will require ~15GB free space on the PS.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:11 PM