Set SharePoint Foundation 2010 Farm to Read Only? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wish to set SharePoint Foundation 2010 Farm to Read Only prior to backup and attach upgrade.  I've checked other answers and cannot find this option under Central Administration for setting the farm to read only.

The database is a local one (MSDE?) with no SQL console.

Please advise, thank you Matt.

Friday, March 1, 2013 10:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can download the Express version of (SSM SQL Studio Manager) from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30438

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

• Marked as answer by MattRW Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:31 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 10:58 AM
  •  wish to set SharePoint Foundation 2010 Farm to Read Only prior to backup and attach upgrade.  I've checked other answers and cannot find this option under Central Administration for setting the farm to read only.

Please advise, thank you Matt.

Monday, March 4, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Thanks Ivan, I want to do it via the console rather than mess about with SQL permissions.  I belive the Sharepoint console is best practice?
    Monday, March 4, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

You can download the Express version of (SSM SQL Studio Manager) from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30438

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

To set a database to read-only by using SQL Server tools

1. Verify that the user account that is performing this procedure is a member of the db_owner fixed database role for the databases.

2. In SQL Server Management Studio, in Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the Database Engine, expand the server, and then expand Databases.

3. Find the database that you want to configure to be read-only, right-click the database, and then click Properties.

4. In the Database Properties dialog box, in the Select a page section, click Options.

5. In the details pane, under Other options, in the State section, next to Database Read-Only, click the arrow, and then select True.

You can use Transact-SQL to configure the READ_ONLY database availability option. For more information about how to use the SET clause of the ALTER DATABASE statement, see Setting Database Options.

• Marked as answer by MattRW Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:31 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:30 AM