Explorer does not show drives for generic USB CF,MS, SD, MS nor other USB mass storage devices RRS feed

• Question

• window 7 - only way to see mapping of devices is thru right click on computer >>> Computer Management.

I have tried to change drives and paths...no luck 

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that have you installed the Card Reader drivers for Windows 7 from the computer manufacturer’s website?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that have you installed the Card Reader drivers for Windows 7 from the computer manufacturer’s website?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:29 AM
  • Arthur

Thanks for the response.

I created a new user and when I log-on with the new user it detects the device when I use either the SD or other cards as well as the hub and flashdrive. It also show the drives when I use windows explorer.

When I log on with the normal user name - the only way to get to the device is by right-clicking on Computer selecting manage and the storage/disk manager.

Perhaps the user account is corrupt??

Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Hi,

According to your feedback, your user account is corrupt.

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to transfer the user profile. Please make sure that the new user account works normally before delete the old one.

Transfer user profile

===============

1. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

2. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder Options.

3. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

4. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: I assume that Windows Vista is installed on the C: partition. If Windows Vista is installed on the D: partition, the Users folder should be located in the D:\Users\(old user name) folder. Also the "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account. For example, if the user name of your old account is "Bill", the folder should be C:\Users\Bill.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Note: To copy all files, we can press Ctrl+A, and then Ctrl+C in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder. After that, navigate to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder, click Ctrl+V.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:50 AM