none
lost outlook files after retsore fails with no admin rights

Question

• my windows pc crashed when the battery died, on retsterting checkdisk checked the c drive, i left it to run as it generally take 15-20 minutes.

later I tried to start outlook and it failed saying the file in c:/users/terry/documents/outlook files .. is not a valid PST file

I checked the folder and the file had a lenght of zeo bytes. i clicked right mouse + restore and was offered a file from a restore point yesterday, i selected this and waited. I got a message about admin rights and clicked retry, then I got a messsage to say the file was not found.

I could see from the folder window the old 0 bytes file had gone. but then all the restore files have gone too,

can anyone suggest a solution.

I am running windows 7 home premium, service pack 1

Sunday, January 17, 2016 9:14 PM

All replies

• In cases like yours there are two options:

• Right-click the .pst file, then left-click "Restore previous version".
    • Restore the file from your external backup medium.
    Monday, January 18, 2016 10:14 AM
  • thanks for suggestions

but as I wrote it was after trying the first action to restore previous version  that access rights caused the restore to fail and then the restore files all disappeared, as did the corrupt original..  

This sounds like a serious glitch(aka bug)  in the restore function to have deleted a file before the restore was secure.

sadly other backups were not available,

this all started after the battery died and on restarting windows needed to scan the C drive for errors.

i did not check the errors at the time and it was when i next started outloook the pst file was not valid it had zero size..

I have tried since searching the event log for the chckdsk report but found none.  

Monday, January 18, 2016 12:59 PM
  • As we all know, accidents do happen. It's sad but true: Data loss is by far the most effective incentive to implement a robust backup procedure.
    Monday, January 18, 2016 1:38 PM