none
Using two different resource rates in MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I have a project where I want to track both cost and price within the task view Gantt chart. To explain a little more, each of my resources in the resource sheet has two rates, a standard rate, and then a sell rate which I have put into the custom field "Cost1".

On my Gantt chart view, I then assign resources and can see the cost of the task in the actual cost field. I would also like to be able to see the "actual price" field which is calculated using the same hours and utilisation but multiplied by the sell rate in the resource "Cost1" field. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this?

Thanks,

Nick

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:08 PM

All replies

• Nick,

Here's a better method. Each resource can have up to 5 different cost rates. They are stored in Cost Rate tables A through E which you can access by selecting a resource, double clicking to bring up the Resource Information window and then selecting the Costs tab. The Standard Rate of the resource's A table is the same value you see in the Standard Rate field on the Resource Sheet.

Set the resource Cost Rate Table A as the cost value and then set the resource Cost Rate Table B as the "sell" value. Now when you use either the Task Usage or Resource Usage views, add the Cost Rate Table field as a column in the view. You will note that the current Cost Rate Table letter appears for each assignment row. By selecting that field on assignment rows, you can switch between resource Cost Rate Tables and costs associated with that cost rate table will be reflected in the Cost field.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:36 PM
  • Thanks John, so I guess you're implying that I'd need to write a macro to flip all of the cost rates to rate B to see the sell rates? I guess it would work but is a little clunky and means you'd have to run the macro each time you wanted to flip. What I'm hoping to do is allow the user to see how much cost has been incurred as the tasks are actualised, but also see the listed sell rate for each task or group of tasks. I run another macro to pull this all out so I can view a P&L of the project in Excel. I think I may end up just storing the cost rates in Excel and processing there - the only downside is you'll have to move the data to Excel to view the price and won't be able to glance it in Project.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Nick,

Well yes, you could use a macro to flip the cost table rate field or you could change the first assignment and then do a fill down.

Bear in mind that Project is not accounting software so it is not set up to depict cost versus price and the myriad of other financial metrics. I think your plan to export cost data to Excel with a macro is a better bet.

Or, if your cost/price can be described in a simple formula, you could use a custom cost field with that formula and get instant values right in Project.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:27 PM