none
Exporting importing GPO's

Question

• Hello Everyone,

The below question has been asked a lot but I haven't found an answer which satisfies me.
    Could someone please help me on the following:

I have several customer who don't have any relationship which eachother.
    I am just an IT guy working in a small to medium business creating almost the same policy over and over.
    After creating the same polices day in and out I thought there must be an easier way.

Is there a way to export a gpo to a file and copy it over to a completely other forest/domain which don't have any relationship and import the GPO. ( this gpo only has simple settings like enable rdp and nothing specific like folder paths etc. )

If so, can someone please tell me of how to do this?

Many thanks in advance.

Andre

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:09 PM

Answers

• back up your "source" gpo, then use Import-Gpo cmdlet to import it to target domain. Use CreateIfNeeded option to automatically create target GPO and TargetGpoName param to specify policy name.

Gleb.

Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hello Everyone,

The below question has been asked a lot but I haven't found an answer which satisfies me.
    Could someone please help me on the following:

I have several customer who don't have any relationship which eachother.
    I am just an IT guy working in a small to medium business creating almost the same policy over and over.
    After creating the same polices day in and out I thought there must be an easier way.

Is there a way to export a gpo to a file and copy it over to a completely other forest/domain which don't have any relationship and import the GPO. ( this gpo only has simple settings like enable rdp and nothing specific like folder paths etc. )

If so, can someone please tell me of how to do this? The server I am using is server 2k12 R2

Many thanks in advance.

Andre

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:10 PM
  • You can use GPMC snap-in or Copy-GPO  or Import-GPO cmdlets to copy GPOs between domains . Migration table can be used to translate path values, domain references, account names, etc.

See also

Migrate Group Policy Between Active Directory Domains or Forests Using PowerShell

Backing up, Restoring, Migrating, and Copying GPOs

Gleb.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Saturday, December 13, 2014 8:23 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Hi Gleb,

Thanks for your reply.
    However it is not exactly what I was looking for.
    The first link shows the entite process of also copying ACLs in which I am not intrested.
    The second link shows how to export  and import in the same domain ( mine should be imported to a entire different one ).

I know that there is an option to import a GPO but this includes me to do:
    1- create a gpo in the new domain
    2- Import the GPO

I need to repeat this steps 10 times and also need to manually enter the GPO name.

What I need is:
    - export from a domain all the GPO's
    - Import to a newly setup standalone domain and that it automtically creates the GPO's, set the gpo names and import the settings

Andre

Sunday, December 14, 2014 11:25 AM
  • back up your "source" gpo, then use Import-Gpo cmdlet to import it to target domain. Use CreateIfNeeded option to automatically create target GPO and TargetGpoName param to specify policy name.

Gleb.

Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:55 PM