none
SharePoint Online IRM - Attach to email a document downloaded from protected library

Question

• Hi all,

my scenario is the following:

• We have a Document Library in SPO where IRM is enabled
    • My user and USER2 (a colleague of mine) have Contribute permission on a folder inside the library
    • I download the document, modify it locally and send it to USER2 using Outlook
    • USER2 receives the mail, he tries to open the document attached
    • His local Word 2016 tells him IRM is configuring...
    • He receive an error

"You don't have credentials that allow you to open this document. you can request updated permissions from <foldernameURL>. Do you want to request updated permissions? change user | yes | no"

But credential in the client are correct. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much.

• Edited by MafaldaM Friday, January 13, 2017 1:40 PM Format incorrect, add detail on error
    Friday, January 13, 2017 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi MafaldaM,

Is User2 an external user?

External users can’t open downloaded documents that are protected with Information Rights Management.

And if the file you are attempting to share is located in a library that is using Information Rights Management, you will not be able to share it externally.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 16, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Hi Linda, thanks for your answer. No, both users are internal users, this is way I was expecting the actions to work correctly. 
    Monday, January 16, 2017 4:53 PM
  • Hi MafaldaM,

Try using another computer which has Office client application with different version. Open the mail with his account and try opening the attachment file to see if it can be opened. Check whether this issue is caused by the Office 2016.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:55 AM