none
Office 2019 deploy updates by SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I deployed Office 2019 by SCCM, everything is OK. But question is how to updates Office 2019 by SCCM? I know options by GPO, but I want to use SCCM.

Thanks for answer.

Regards

Jakub

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Jakub,

It’s true that you can use System Center Configuration Manager to help you deploy and manage updates to Office 2019, including controlling when and from where updates are applied. For more details, read Update Office 2019 (for IT Pros).

In general, you can follow the same steps in this article: Manage updates to Office 365 ProPlus with System Center Configuration Manager. Even though the article is about Office 365 ProPlus, it's similar for volume licensed versions of Office 2019 since they both use Click-to-Run to manage updates. Be sure that OfficeMgmtCOM="True" in your configuration.xml file so that Configuration Manager will manage the updates. You can also enable the Office COM object by using either of the methods in the article: the Office Deployment Tool or Group Policy.

If you have any questions on deploying software updates with System Center Configuration Manager, I advise you to ask questions on System Center Configuration Manager Forum for help. You may get more helpful suggestions there.

Hope that helps. If you have anything unclear, please feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Jakub,

It’s true that you can use System Center Configuration Manager to help you deploy and manage updates to Office 2019, including controlling when and from where updates are applied. For more details, read Update Office 2019 (for IT Pros).

In general, you can follow the same steps in this article: Manage updates to Office 365 ProPlus with System Center Configuration Manager. Even though the article is about Office 365 ProPlus, it's similar for volume licensed versions of Office 2019 since they both use Click-to-Run to manage updates. Be sure that OfficeMgmtCOM="True" in your configuration.xml file so that Configuration Manager will manage the updates. You can also enable the Office COM object by using either of the methods in the article: the Office Deployment Tool or Group Policy.

If you have any questions on deploying software updates with System Center Configuration Manager, I advise you to ask questions on System Center Configuration Manager Forum for help. You may get more helpful suggestions there.

Hope that helps. If you have anything unclear, please feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:26 AM
  • Hi Jakub,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:46 PM
  • Hi Herb

I require some clarification regarding Office Updates. Apologies if this has been answered however I have not been able to verify this information.

Environment currently running Office Professional Plus 2019 (VL). Deployed via SCCM OSD TS across all the clients. Activated by KMS.

Under the Office 365 Updates Folder in SCCM 1810 , it displays "Office 2019 Perpetual Enterprise Client Update Version Perpetual for x64 based Edition (Build 10346.20002)" which is required on a number of devices which I believe is expected as we are running Office 2019 Pro Plus. However it also displays " Office 365 Client Update - Monthly Channel Version 1906 for x64 based Edition (Build 11727.20210) on a number of devices as well." This is confusing, I was under the impression that Office 2019 Perpetual Enterprise Client Updates would only be applicable to the version of Office we are currently running. Half of our estate requires Office 365 Client Updates and the other half Office 2019 Perpetual Enterprise Client Updates.

I have both Office 2019 and O365 Products enabled on the SUP as when I intially only enabled Office 2019, no updates were being published in the Office 365 Updates Node.

Have I missed something? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Robin

• Proposed as answer by Robin.Thomas Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Robin.Thomas Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:50 AM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 2:09 PM
  • This issue has now been resolved with the assistance of Premier Support

Affected machines were configured to receive Monthly Channel Updates which are for Office 365 ProPlus even though we are using Office 2019 and should be receiving updates from the Office 2019 VL Channel. SCCM detects and offers updates based on UpdateUrl registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration.

This was pointing to the O365 Monthly Channel (492350f6-3a01-4f97-b9c0-c7c6ddf67d60)

Since we are using Office 2019 we would need to change the registry key as follows to point to the Office 2019 VL Channel:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration

REG_SZ=UpdateUrl

Value=

http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/f2e724c1-748f-4b47-8fb8-8e0d210e9208

We did not get to the root cause of this issue. Our Configure.xml file when deploying office contained all the correct parameters.

After created a GPO with the correct Month Channel GUID, all our clients now only requires Office 2019 Perpetual Enterprise Client Updates.

• Proposed as answer by Robin.Thomas Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:03 AM