Email in non-IPM subtree can be discovered with searching feature in outlook 2016. RRS feed

• Question

• I hide an email by moving it to a non-IPM subtree. The email can not be seen in inbox. It can be discovered with searching feature in outlook 2016. But it can not be discovered with searching feature in previous version of outlook.

Why does this happen?

• Edited by SimonChenTM Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:45 AM
    • Moved by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:31 AM because it is
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

As this is not an Exchange related issue, I will move this to Outlook forum, as they shoud have more professional knowledge on Outlook and you may get effective solution timely.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Which folder did you move the message to? 

I tried to exporting a message to MSG from IPM_SUBTREE and then importing it to Drizzle folder:

When searching for the key words in either Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2010, the item cannot be found:

Please feel free to let me know if I have misunderstood anything.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Thank you for your kind reply! I moved the email to a hidden folder whose value of the tag 0x10f4 (PR_ATTR_HIDDEN) in extended properties is true. The email is invisible in outlook 2016 after moving it to the hidden folder.  But I can see the email by typing its subject or sender in search bar.

Regards,

Simon Chen

• Edited by SimonChenTM Tuesday, December 26, 2017 5:25 AM
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 1:58 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for clarifying.

Based on my research, this is an expected behavior that folders hidden by setting the PR_ATTR_HIDDEN property still show up when using a Search Folder or Instant Search (even after rebuilding your Search Index) or you get an error that the folder already exists when trying to recreate it in the same location. See the third paragraph in this article:

Hide, move or delete an Outlook folder via MFCMAPI

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope you can find this helpful.

Regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 1, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Just checked in to see if the information was helpful. If yes, could you please help mark the useful post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can more easily find the information? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:33 AM